Author Topic: With Respect  (Read 1462 times)

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
With Respect
« on: May 17, 2013, 11:18:39 am »
On the night of the 16th/17th May 1943 (70 years ago today) the 617 squadron left my home county of Lincolnshire, on a mission to the rhyl valley of Germany. The squadron became famously named
"the Dam Busters" there actions and heroism led to shortening the war effort in Europe.
We are in the County celebrating the squadron, but please give give a thought for the 53 UK  US  and Canadian air crew of whom never returned from that mission 
Dave

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
Re: With Respect
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 05:34:57 am »
My husband and I where in Lincolnshire last year and we stayed at the Petwood Hotel that was once the officers mess of 617 squadron.  We also toured various airfields including RAF Scampton.  And we got into a Lancaster (Just Jane). It was on my husband's bucket list and so glad that we did it.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 12:30:42 pm »
HI marg
glad you liked the county I assume you visited the the Lincolnshire aviation centre at East Kirby as thats were Just Jane is Housed, and yes I know the hotel and most certainly RAF Scampton,it was the HQ of bomber command and is now home to the red arrows display team, although there is uproar at the moment as there is talk of closing it down
Dave

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 02:47:18 am »
We watched the Red Arrows training what an awesome site.  It will be a shame if it is closed down and where will they have the new RAF station?  Yes it was the Lincolnshire aviation centre Had a wonderful day there.  They even got me into the tail gunners position in fact I had more trouble getting out than in. LOL

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 09:15:28 am »
I'm currently reading "INFERNO" by Max Hastings, an extremely well written history of WWII.  Every chance I get I remind my grandchildren how thankful we should be for the soldiers that have gone before us.

Thanks  Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

SMF

Teknoromi