Author Topic: Kit Knife  (Read 2393 times)

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Kit Knife
« on: May 08, 2013, 04:12:08 pm »

This knife is from KnifeKits.com. Thanks Tommy for the lead. It is a Drop Point Cub with brass guard. http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_info.php?cPath=2_389&products_id=4090.
Overall length is 6 5/8"; hollow ground blade length is 2 3/4". The handle is 1/4" Yucatan Rosewood finished with Feed-N-Wax. It has a brass lanyard hole. I skipped the handle pins; used epoxy to connect the handle.

The knife costs $11.95 each if you buy 2; the sheath is $6.95 ea. This is the 1st knife kit I've built. Can it sell for $40? I guess we'll see June 1st.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:19:57 pm by EIEIO »
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

thumbs

Re: Kit Knife
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 04:42:30 pm »
very nice, I can not see why you shouldn't get that much at the very least--thanks for sharing--Richard

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 08:24:54 pm »
Very nicely done.  Generally figure on 2.5x cost at least for min. pricing so basically $19 x 2.5 = $47.50.  That is low considering the wood used is an exiotic hardwood.  I like the straight forward no nonsense handle it gives the knife a clean feel and look.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

saggioculo

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 11:01:13 pm »
You made the handle?  That is so awesome!  I could never cut something so percise like that.  It came out perfect.

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 07:51:51 am »
wonderful job, looks great, thanks for sharing

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 09:47:51 am »
nice knife good job

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Tomsunnu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 10:06:30 am »
Nice work. Looking forward to seeing more of these handmade handels :)
Thank you for sharing
Mahendra
mahendra

Offline scrollriffic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 06:15:18 pm »
do you have some sort of pattern to go by in cutting the handle? Bobby

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 07:21:24 pm »
Me too wondering how to do this. If you sand flush after attaching to the blade, you will muck up the knife.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 11:15:52 pm »
Me too wondering how to do this. If you sand flush after attaching to the blade, you will muck up the knife.
Pete
I covered the blade and guard with masking tape. Used the blade tang to outline the right and left scales on a piece of 1/4" rosewood. Cut the outline, with some margin, on the scroll saw. The guard is curved and about 3/16 at the thickest, so I clamped one scale to the tang, pressed up against the guard, then marked the shape of the guard on the edge of each scale with a pencil. Used a 220 grid belt on the sander, a little at a time, to taper the scale on that edge to that mark and kept fitting it against the guard. When the scale was a good fit and just flush with the guard on each side, I clamped one scale on and drilled through the 3/16 hole in the tang into the scale for the brass thong tube. Then remove that scale and clamp on the other scale to drill it. Then epoxy on both scales and tang, press the thong tube through, and clamp all until the epoxy set. Then go back to the spindle and belt sander and sand the handle and epoxy overflow down to flush with the tang (the fit to the guard was already good). Then clamp the blade in a vise (wrapped in a shop rag) and hand sand to get the scales smooth. Some sanding hits the edges of the tang but it is a hardened stainless steel (Rc 54-56) so not much scratching. I am waiting for some rouge to go back and polish the edges of the tang, but they already look pretty good. The blade and guard were protected by the masking tape and did not get damaged.

It's a little bit of work, but nothing too tough. The tang on this knife had 8 holes for pins to pass through the scales, but I figured the epoxy plus the thong tube was enough, and I like the look of just clean hardwood on the handle. I use the thong hole to attach a tag with the knife features and the price. I set the price to $50 for the rosewood and $55 for the same knife (#2) with Longan Berry scales ripped from a pen blank (the pen blank cost $5; I had the small piece of rosewood left over from another project). I'll negotiate if those prices are too high.

I thought for the 3rd knife for this show I might try a piece of Purpleheart for the scales - just for something different. I'm not ready to try the home-made Micarta yet, but maybe next show. How about canvas layers, then cutting up a $1 bill for the outer layer of the Micarta? Might attract some attention. ;D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:19:38 pm by EIEIO »
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

ToverT

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 12:20:29 am »
E,

Very very nice job on this.  I've made this knife several times and I sell them for $45.00 without a problem at all.

Pining the eight pins is a big pin in the, well you know.  But, the pins do serve a functional purpose.

The purpose is not to keep the handle on the knife.  Yes, the epoxy will do that without any problem.  The job of the pins to keep the handle strong and from shearing when downward thrust is applied.  Skinning, cutting, whitleing, etc.  

I use to Peen the brass pins, but after splitting a few handles I know just use the epoxy to hold them in place then bring them flush to the handle with the vertical sander.  The brass is very soft and sands very easily.

The blade has a Satin finish and only needs a little touchup after construction.  I use FLITZ metal polish.  You can Google it and find where to buy it on-line.  It is fantastic, trust me on that!

The drop point hunter that I made from my old pair of Levis sold within 10 min at my show last month and it went for $120.00.  You will be surpised at how much attention these custom knifes will bring to your booth.  One word of caution....not all shows allow knifes like these.  The look at them as "weapons" and any weapons of any kind are often not allowed.  Check your guidelines for your upcoming show.  I usually have 30 to 40 knifes on hand at all time....they will draw people into your booth for sure.

GREAT GREAT job!  I look forward to seeing more of them from you!!!!

Tommy T   You can see some of my knifes at the link below my signature.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 02:10:41 am »
Nice looking knife, fantastic looking handle.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 03:17:51 am »
I tend to cringe when I see sharp knives, but that one appeals to my liking of things that are minimalistic.

Martin.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 04:45:14 am »
very nice job, I like knife's.
have one with reindeer antler from Sweden.
did thought of making knives myself, but never did.
do you know this site:

http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/category/Messer-2526_3529.htm

all kind of great knife kits.

Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 08:05:02 am »
Nice looking knife - might have to look into this idea.

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

SMF

Teknoromi