Author Topic: Dremel Moto-Saw  (Read 1686 times)

thealley

Dremel Moto-Saw
« on: April 20, 2013, 06:28:18 am »
Hi,

I just wanted to have some opinions on this tool for a beginner. I only want it for fretwork on plywood, and not for other scroll-sawing techniques. For the price it seems quite good, but the only thing that's bothering me is the use of the pin-end blades rather than the plain-end ones. Do you think the pin-end blades are good for fretworking? I know that I could have some problems inserting them in small holes to cut inside a pattern, apart from the fact that they are difficult to buy in shops.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-F013MS20JB-Moto-Saw/dp/B009M38CNI/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1366452838&sr=1-1&keywords=dremel+moto+saw

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Dremel Moto-Saw
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 07:15:29 am »
Honestly, I think this tool is seriously limited.  Pinned end blades limit the size of hole you can cut.  The throat capacity looks like it might be around 8" so the size of you piece will have to be small.  As a hand held tool, I think it might be a little hard to control.  Clamped down and inserted in the table would be the best way to do your fretwork but again, you will be restricted on the size of your cuts and the size of your finished piece.

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 09:20:50 am »
This hobby is very addictive as stated elseware on this board buy the most saw you can afford the better the saw the easier it is to make stuff and the more fun it is doing it

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 09:55:58 am »
Fretwork, portrait cuts, and lots of 3D projects like bowls and compound cuts require very small pilot holes to insert the blade. Pin end blades can't fit into those holes. IMHO that is too big an obstacle to ignore. I'd advise against a tool that cannot accept plain end blades.   
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 10:43:47 am »
That saw is not designed for fret work. It is more of a powered copping saw. For fretwork. You.need a saw that will accept plain end blades.
Dan In Southern California

thealley

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 11:25:06 am »
Thanks for all your replies. You convinced me not to buy it! :-)

SMF

Teknoromi