Author Topic: Small routers or what?  (Read 1829 times)

rochar3

Small routers or what?
« on: April 18, 2013, 08:58:27 am »
Hey Everybody,
What better place than the forum to get good advice. I have been scrolling for 3 years and as I need new tools, this forum is where I look to for advice. What do you use for small projects that need decorative edges etc. Are hand held routers good for this and what brands etc do you use? I am currently rounding edges by hand and it is getting real old. I need some advice.
As usual, thanks for your help and advice.
Bob

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: Small routers or what?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 09:16:35 am »
I just ordered a Bosch Colt Palm Router and a set of bits from Amazon. Should arrive today.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 10:49:22 am »
Hey Bob, a small router like the Bosch Colt will be fine for rounding small projects. As your needs grow, a larger, more powerful router will be needed. I have a Porter Cable 690 mounted in a router table. The table makes edge routing easier and safer. I would recommend a book specific to routers as they can be dangerous if not use properly.
Dan In Southern California

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 11:15:35 am »
I have a number of routers and like Dan I do a lot on the router table.  For a compact router I use a trend plunge router and I am very happy with the work it products.  Once you obtain your router, read up a little on things like the direction of the router movement and how much to take off in one pass, how to avoid tearout, etc.  A router is one of the most versatile and useful tools in the shop.  Also get yourself some bench cookies or a router pad to lay the wood on while routing the edges.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Shogun

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 05:56:51 pm »
Bob, I myself use a Dremel tool with a router attachment.

grampa sawdust

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 07:06:59 pm »
Bob I have a craftsman like the Dremel and have used it for years on little things. I have a porter Cable in at table. and I have an old sears that my dad gave me he had for larger things I do without the table.

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 07:45:36 pm »
I got this all in one at HD, works great for edging the small projects that I do.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 07:34:34 am »
For very small - Dremel.  I have both the plunge router attachment and the router table.  Problem is, finding the router bits.  You have to buy an assortment of 6 bits to get the roundover bit.
Handy - a laminate trimmer.  It's small and can do a lot of jobs.
Ryobi - Cheap but does the job.  Only come in 1/4" chuck.  I use it to put edges on oval or round plaques.
Bosch - my work horse.  Is mounted in a big table and can do anything.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 09:42:41 am »
I have several routers that are really just cheap 1/4" that I picked up used.  Have them mounted in plywood cubes that I made as I don't like changing bits.  Be sure to get some carbide bits.

SMF

Teknoromi