Author Topic: 1995 Hegner Multimax 18v garage sale find (need advice on clamps)  (Read 5428 times)

bwildered

Newbie here....I was at a yard sale yesterday and a guy honestly talked me into buying this scroll saw for a lot less than anyone on here would ever believe. Compared to the one I rarely use that cost me a Benjamin twenty some yrs ago, this was really nice.  The seller picked it up from a co-worker who's father owned it and evidently she didn't know what it was.  Me either, but it was German, great condition, hardly used and came on a stand with 4-5 inches of scroll saw books and patterns.  Then I got home a Googled it.  WOW.  Little did I know I stumbled across the holy grail of scroll saws. 

Condition wise, it's missing blades and the two blade clamps.  (I'm not going back there to ask) Someone stored it in a garage, so it has a little oxidation on the bare metal fasteners that I already cleaned up.  There was a couple spots of corrosion on the cast aluminum deck that I took steel wool to.  Paint is original, stickers are all unharmed.  The diaphragm dust blower is fine.

My original intent was to keep it, but there's too much opportunity for profit here.  I'm more of a car nut.

My question is this....The clamps are going to cost me 50-60 bucks. Should I invest in the OEM clamps or has Hegner or anyone else improved another clamp that replaces those tedious ones?  Or sell it as is, and let the buyer decide, which I'm assuming would take less for it not running perfectly with a blade in place.   Also, if this were your garage sale find, what's a good price to start with?  Maybe start with Craigslist, I'm not a fan of packing and shipping either. 

BTW,  I'll probably put the books on the internet auction. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.   
Don

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
Re: 1995 Hegner Multimax 18v garage sale find (need advice on clamps)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 04:31:53 pm »
If all you're going to do is sell the Hegner, you can pick up a pair of basic blade clamps from Advanced Machinery for $22.00
It should be all you need to put it in working order. I don't know what you paid, but it sounds like the little extra investment for the clamps would be well worth it.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 06:29:13 pm »
Al gave great advice. It is always important to have tools in working order so prospective buyers can try it out, so I would recommend you buy the blade clamps for maximum profit.
Dan In Southern California

bwildered

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 06:42:29 pm »
Thanks for the advice,  For some reason I thought the top was 22 and the bottom was 22.  Plus the bolts.  I just saw the $22   

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 06:13:16 pm »
To give you an idea of a price to ask.  I bought a 1986 Hegner 25" scroll saw, single speed , no front quick tension release, no stand and I paid $600 for it over a year ago.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 04:19:34 am »
I have a Hegner too and I like the original parts even if they are more expensive.
clamps might be universal , but I think Hegner uses good clamps.
don't know if the angle of the clamps is the same for all brands, and if not you might get more movement in the clamp which can cause more broken blades.
on the top you could buy the one with the big aluminum knob, works much better.
or buy the quick handle from FD mike, this replaces the plastic cross knob.

Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

CharlesDearing

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 01:17:40 pm »
You can buy parts and accessories for Hegner scroll saws at http://advmachinery.com   
If I thought you'd do it I'd buy it from you.  Hegners are a dang good scroll saw and I'd hate to part with one.  What would you be asking for the saw as is?  Message me privately if need be. 

bwildered

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 01:10:59 pm »
Here is the link to the ad I just posted.  I'm going to start at $800 and see where we go.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/tls/3757386156.html

Ironically I picked up another scroll saw this weekend at a yard sale fro $25.  (SEARS) which doesn't compare to the 18V.  Problem is, I liked the Hegner so much I had to have something to fiddle with.

Thanks for all of your help.  There are a lot of artists on this forum!

SMF

Teknoromi