Author Topic: Blade clamping  (Read 1938 times)

Loudog

Blade clamping
« on: April 09, 2013, 12:09:13 am »
Hello, I have a 20 in Craftsman and have trouble clamping in smaller regular end blades (smaller than #1), the set screw face looks good but they want to come out as the screw is turned, I think if the set screw were left handes it would work better. Anyone have any help? Thanks! Louie

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: Blade clamping
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 02:48:55 am »
If your thumb screw is on the right side:
Sounds like there may be a bevel on the end of the thumb screw that is contacting the blade at the bottom of its rotation. You can replace the thumb screw, or try to square it off again with sandpaper.

For a temporary fix (or for a test), how about turning the setscrew (opposite the thumb screw in the blade clamp) in 1/2 turn. Then the thumb screw bevel will contact the blade at the top of rotation and will pull the blade into the clamp rather than push it out. 
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 06:12:03 am »
Besides what EIEIO said, are you cleaning the blades first?  Most blades come with a light coat of oil on them so that they don't rust while being stored.  You need to remove this or they will slip out of the holders. I first dip the ends in a solvent (I do a dozen at a time or so) I unwrap the wire and dip the ends, then wipe them with a paper towel. You will see all the dark 'gunk' come off of them.  I then place them on a clean paper towel and give each end a quick spray with Windex or any window cleaner and wipe again to remove all traces of the solvent. This helps a great deal.  And if you already put 'dirty' blades in the holders, be sure to clean them too, as they will have oil on them and re-contaminate the blades.  You only have to do this once if you don't "forget" to clean the blades before installing.  This helps reduce the slipping of the blades significantly. 

This may not solve the entire problem, but it will help grip the blade much better and may help it from sliding out as you are tightening your set screw.  In any case, it is a good habit to get into. :) 

Sheila

Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Loudog

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 02:51:16 pm »
Many thanks for the replies! will give them a try. the botom clamp is the one giving me the problem. Louie

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 04:24:02 pm »
My guess....
either the set screw opposite the thumb screw is not flush with the clamp body
OR you are seriously over tightening the thumb screw.
Clean those blades as noted above and tighten only enough to hold the blade firmly.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

ChuckD

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 08:25:09 pm »
Louie, is this the Delta P-20 you are talking about? :)

Loudog

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 11:49:16 pm »
Louie, is this the Delta P-20 you are talking about? :)

It is a 28 year old sears craftsman 20 inch.

SMF

Teknoromi