Author Topic: Blood Wood  (Read 1580 times)

waynew45@verizon.net

Blood Wood
« on: March 20, 2013, 04:50:53 pm »
Has anyone had any luck scrolling blood wood? I tried and didn't get very far before I gave up. Seems to be VERY HARD wood. It took a VERY LONG time to get a 1/4 inch cut. Any suggestion??

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: Blood Wood
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 05:10:58 pm »
These are 3 compound cuts done in blood wood. It was a 1.5x1.5 turning blank I got from a $3/lb bin. I used a 2/0 blade pulled tight and went slow. You have to watch for burning. I used a lot of plastic packing tape to hold the compounds together and that probably helped with lubricating the blade.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

IBMer

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 09:36:44 pm »
I've made several things from Blood Wood.  Didn't really find it that bad to work with.   Then again, after cutting Cocobolo and other crazy hard wood, everything else seems easy to work with.

waynew45@verizon.net

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 11:39:22 pm »
I too started a project using Blood Wood and it's still sitting on the table with about a 1/2 inch cut. I tried different blades, speeds, feeds, tentions and gave up. Expensive wood that I will try to turn instead of scrolling.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 08:17:09 am »
I love bloodwood.  It's color and grain are so pretty.  It has got to be your blade.  What kind are you using?

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 09:17:16 am »
The only bloodwood that I have used was very soft.  Oh wait, you didn't mean wood stained with blood.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 10:15:10 pm »
I have made a few projects like Steve's Keychains with names in them.  It.s a little like hard maple or purpleheart, dense and hard, easy to burn.  Slow things down and use a coarser blade than you normally might.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi