Author Topic: Tall order.  (Read 2012 times)

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
Tall order.
« on: March 06, 2013, 01:43:57 pm »
I will be retiring in a few years after 30 years of teaching. The school I have worked at for the last 12 years is called "Crescent Collegiate" and our mascot is a coyote. Our teams are refered to as the
 "Crescent Collegiate Coyotes". I am thinking I would like to make an intarsia piece incorporating the school name and the image of a coyote to donate to the school as my final contribution to the school and students. If an intarsia pattern is too much to ask for, I would consider doing a fretwork piece as an alternative.  Any takers. Thanks in advance  for your help with this project. Clyde
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
Re: Tall order.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 06:15:26 pm »
Clyde, I tried looking for some school logos (coyotes) and found any images to be way too small. I did however find the name of the town where the school is located to be quite interesting.... Do you have any images you could post to help anyone who might like to help?
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 07:50:42 pm »
I will see what I can did up. Yes the town does have an interesting name. The Dept of Transportation has to keep a supply of signs for the town on hand as they mysteriously disappear. I will try to get a picture of the sign tomorrow, if it is still there?
Clyde

Old Crow

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:02:47 pm »
Clyde, Here is my take on your request. I don't do intarsia but perhaps this will work for you.The name is very funny!
Don R

Offline Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 04:51:59 am »
The island outline is an unfortunate shape, considering the town name. Or is that just the way my mind works? ;D

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 02:06:31 pm »
A little history lesson.
The place name "Dildo" is attested in this area since at least 1711, though how this came to be is unknown. The origin of the word "dildo" itself is obscure. It was once used to reference a phallus-shaped pin stuck in the edging of a row boat to act as a pivot for the oar (also known as a "thole pin" or "dole pin.")[1] It was used as early as the 16th century for a cylindrical object such as a dildo glass (test tube), for a phallus-shaped sex toy, as an insult for a "contemptuous or reviling" male, and as a refrain in ballads.[2] The name, then written as "Dildoe", was first applied to Dildo Island, located offshore from the present-day town of Dildo. This use was recorded in 1711 and 1775, and the name was thereafter applied to the Dildo Arm of Trinity Bay and other local physical features. Social scientist William Baillie Hamilton notes that Captain James Cook and his assistant Michael Lane, who mapped Newfoundland in the 1760s, often displayed a sense of humour in the place names they chose, and were not above selecting names that might offend overly sensitive readers. Regardless of the origin, the name has brought the town of Dildo a measure of notoriety. In the 20th century there were several campaigns to change the name, though all failed.[3]

[edit] History
Clyde

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 02:10:25 pm »
some very interesting facts there, I like the way the inch sign has been added to the 12 in the picture lol.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 02:10:42 pm »
I am still trying to get a good picture of what I am looking for in a pattern. I have the logo that Don has placed of the map of NFLD. I asked around yesterday and some others said there was a better logo that was around a few years ago that was done for the sports teams.  
Clyde

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 02:15:51 pm »
Keith that is KM. but maybe I am wrong.  ;D ;D  Coincidental, maybe. Sure is a good thing  they did not  place the sign just 2 km from the community.  :-[ :-[ :-[
Clyde

Old Crow

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 02:31:35 pm »
Clyde, With a little work, we could probably do something with the gym mural, if that would work for you.
Don R

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 08:30:57 pm »
I will look around some more on Monday maybe get a few pictures. Thanks for your help.
Clyde

SMF

Teknoromi