Author Topic: Some thing  (Read 2636 times)

cherie

Re: Some thing
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 08:40:04 am »
Carved it ?

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 09:50:01 am »
I think you turned it with all four fins up and when you were done you cut one fin off on a band saw and re-glued it in the down position. A little sanding and filling and Bobs your uncle.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 03:02:26 am »
OK, a couple of you were close, carving is part of it,BUT, first it has to be turned, start by turning base, 4 wings down, turn over and turn 4 wings up, choose 3 best wings and remove 4th [carve with mini carver] turn over remove 3 of the down wings, that leaves 3up and one down, make sense?, from there on it is sanding, maily by hand, this project took me 5 hours to complete, I put it up for sale at $120 with no takers, the demonstrator that showed how it was done sells his for $500 upwards, same size.
Jimbo

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 11:28:09 am »
Jimbo,
It all depends on you market. Are you showing to people with an intrest in art and have the money for it or are you showing to people looking for a candy dish?
It is very fustrating fo all of us to be creative and do good work and not find anyone else who even cares beyound  saying "Nice work".
I live in an area with few people (compaired to a big city) and altho some around here have money there doesn't seem to be any intrest in local artists.
I go to a church with the richer end of the population and often donate scroll work to the youth group to sell for their projects and they don't have much luck getting $5.00 for a beautiful cross that I have cut. People will however pay $50.00 for a glass cross imported from South America. Go figure?

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 04:59:42 pm »
Know where you are coming from Rog, I first showed it our clubs sales and exabition, had more people ask how it was made than were interested in buying, the next time was at Pataka museum of art, when I was there demonstrating there was some much interest I thought it would sell but I still have it, The problem I do not have the name for doing that stuff, I have sold a hollow form for $250 but that was a bit of luck, I have a exact copy of it if you would like to look at it, that piece is now in the USA it was for a wedding gift.
Jimbo 

boxmaker

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 02:59:42 pm »
Jimbo, I think it is a very unique piece of work, and very well done, and thanks for sharing the secret to its creation. Roger is right, if you could find the right person, they probably wouldn't hesitate to pay you top dollar. I live in a small rural area where dollars are tight. I also see things similar I make for sale online and they get 2 to 3 times what I can sell it for. Finding the market for something is the hard part.

SMF

Teknoromi