Author Topic: BLO  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
BLO
« on: February 28, 2013, 04:31:04 am »
A wee Q...I made some slates for a bench seat and I oiled them with BLO..
My Q is after the oil has dried for a couple days it looks dull...
If I leave them as is will the oil get transferred to clothing or should I spray the slats with gloss.
And if so will it last in all weathers....

Thanks ***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Retired Coastie

Re: BLO
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 12:04:34 pm »
Merlin I use BLO on lots of wood projects and I usually let them sit in an area that's well ventilated for about a week and then apply a good paste wax and it will shine up nicely. I also apply about 3 coats with a good 3 hours between applications.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:06:06 pm by Retired Coastie »

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 03:23:26 pm »
Thanks for that reply may have to try that for the next bench.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 07:34:56 pm »
I don't think BLO will hold up outdoors very well. I would let it cure for about a week and add a few coats of spar varnish. I've done this on two outdoor items and they seem to hold up well. Just my two pennies.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

multifasited

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 06:58:24 am »
I'm not sure what BLO is ,but assume it's an oil ,based on the weeks lag time ,I would not think paint would not adhere good ,and  flake or peel .Side note ,When ,I was a Boy my mother ,thinned oil based paint w/ oil based fly spray ,before painting picnic table ,kept the flys at bay all year,The only difference was it was mixed in to the paint ,not trying to paint over it .I'd think that would make a difference ,Purely a guess on my part !

just Josh

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 07:12:42 am »
I'm not sure what BLO is ,but assume it's an oil ,based on the weeks lag time ,I would not think paint would not adhere good ,and  flake or peel .Side note ,When ,I was a Boy my mother ,thinned oil based paint w/ oil based fly spray ,before painting picnic table ,kept the flys at bay all year,The only difference was it was mixed in to the paint ,not trying to paint over it .I'd think that would make a difference ,Purely a guess on my part !
BLO is boiled linseed oil.

multifasited

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 07:34:21 am »
I should have known ,have used on pitch forks and shovels and such for yrs ,annually though ,I guess, I forgot the boiled part! Even ,when supposedly dry still collects dust , I always hand wire brush before next application to remove ,seems to help the hands ,so I think It never actually drys completely! 

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 02:24:42 pm »
multifasited: I think you may be using Raw Linseed Oil, Raw never seems to dry completely were as Boiled does.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

multifasited

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 06:16:06 pm »
Could be ,Maybe thats why ,I didn't recognize BLO ,these days I forget as much as I remember,some times more,Who ever called these the Golden Years ,was not here yet !!Or maybe senile .

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 06:41:15 pm »
Merlin I would put several coats of BOL on and let it dry thoroughly, if you put poly. on it make sure it is exterior other wise it will peel off
Jimbo

multifasited

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 02:40:57 pm »
Merlin I would put several coats of BOL on and let it dry thoroughly, if you put poly. on it make sure it is exterior other wise it will peel off
Jimbo
          What is the actual purpose of BLO ,sealer ,primer ,finish ,seams to be used for any or all three ,by different people ,appears from different posts very long dry time ,for 3 coats . Must have mystic properties to justify ,3 week dry time for 3 coats .or am I reading posts wrong ???Somebody Please, explain ,reasons and benefits for various uses !!

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 02:53:33 pm »
Multifasited: As my last post on this subject, the Raw is different to the Boiled (different as in two products)
The Raw never seems to dry completely where as the boiled with turpentine mixed 50/50 takes a couple of hours.

Raw with turpentine mixed 50/50 is not the same and will never dry completely.

As for the purpose of BLO I use it for the cost, the finish it makes to NZ native timbers, and seeing it's oil it must protect as well.
But you have to re-oil every year if used outdoors, but I still consider it the best for protection.

Hope that helps you.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 05:52:22 pm »
BLO is made by heating linseed oil which thickens it, but also gives it the property of drying a whole lot faster. Most manufacturers add solvents and metallic dryers to raw linseed oil to give it the same properties as the boiled stuff.

I use to dip my ornaments in BLO, wipe them off after 10 minutes, and hang them to dry. After two days they still seemed a bit tacky. Then, like Merlin suggested, I mixed the BLO with mineral spirits 50/50 and they dried over night.

Just remember, no finish on outdoor furniture is permanent.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

multifasited

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 06:08:52 pm »
Merlin I got all that 3 posts back ,What I was asking was ,about references to triple coating and finishing over it.By different people posting here ,I was  actually trying to understand the reasoning for the extra sets  and the different uses ,Not to exasperate ,or test your patience !! The cost and ease of application is completely understandable ,It was the further steps that I was questioning !

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 10:54:50 pm »
Multifasited: The more oil you use the better the protection I suppose  ;D
I have always used at least 3 coats and have just learnt to rub it in with 0000 steel wool.
http://voices.yahoo.com/boiled-linseed-oil-beeswax-fine-furniture-and-2562208.html?cat=6

Not sure if it helps or not but will give it a go soon.
I know that probably didn't answer your Q properly but that's all I have, sorry.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

SMF

Teknoromi