Author Topic: Snow in Arizona  (Read 3096 times)

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
Snow in Arizona
« on: February 20, 2013, 08:25:20 pm »
I was just watching the national news and they had a clip that Flagstaff got dumped on with 30cm of the white stuff. What is that about.....?????
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

king310

Re: Snow in Arizona
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 08:59:22 pm »
Cdrover you know where your belt wraps around your waist?.......................Well about 6 inches below that :o :o :o :o.......Baby it's cold outside ;D ;D ;D ;D

That is about 12 inches

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 01:00:24 am »
Flagstaff is only around 7500 feet and gets it's share of snow. Just because it's in  AZ doesn't mean it's all desert.
Take a look at my mugshot setting on my horse, that's near Flagstaff.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 06:54:02 am »
I should have realized that. But my stereotypical
 View of Arizona  kicked in.  proves that old dogs can  new tricks.
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 01:21:54 am »
I always think of Arizona as hot desert  hot.  Never too old to learn.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 04:23:13 am »
I was just watching the national news and they had a clip that Flagstaff got dumped on with 30cm of the white stuff. What is that about.....?????

Flagstaff always gets snow. In fact there have been times that Snowbowl Ski Resort a few miles north of Flag has had the highest snow base in the nation. The news that really should be hitting you is that we had snow here in Phoenix in the day. It has snowed a few flakes at night before, but that always melts by daylight. Yesterday it snowed throughout most all of the valley of the sun. First snow like that since the 1930's.

This first picture is the Diamond Back Baseball Spring Training Field...covered in snow. The second picture is a rare sight for sure.

Offline troy_curtis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 04:30:39 am »
I always think of Arizona as hot desert  hot.  Never too old to learn.

Marg

I always have to laugh when I go out east or elsewhere in the world and people tell me what they picture Arizona being like. Many think like you that it is just a hot desert all year round. Deserts are not always hot. In fact there are arctic deserts that are cold year round. Desert simply means it is an arid or dry place. What makes Phoenix nice is not our hotter than heck summers, but our 8 to 9 month warmer than most places winter. Most days we are in the 70's, but it can get cold a few months of the year.

Some people tell me they picture Arizona as all sand dunes and no vegetation. Actually our desert land has some very pretty spring and fall flowers and various scrub vegetation. We also have some higher mountains with pines and other trees. Flagstaff is a mountain town with some very beautiful scenery.

The last thing I hear from people is they think we all walk around with cowboy hats and boots and a six shooter on our side. It is true that we have no concealed weapon carry permit needed, but that does not make us all cowboys. Along with cowboys I hear people who think it is like the westerns with Indians wearing buckskin and head dress.

Well, our cold spell made the news and now some people have a better education on Arizona.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 02:08:59 am »
Thanks Troy for the lesson on Arizona I really appreciate it.  When I first came to Australia an Aunt of mine told me that I would see kangaroos running down the main streets and absolutely no Aboriginals at all which made me laugh.  Kangaroo DO NOT run down main streets.  You may see some occasionally where you normally wouldn't but they are either looking for water, have run away from somewhere or their habitat has been invaded by builders etc.  On our trip around Tasmania we have not seen one live one but we have seen lots of dead ones, hit by car after dusk.  The only live Aussie animal we have seen are Ecidnas.  As for Aboriginals we had a family living in our court and 2 family's at our primary school.  Which goes to show there are lots of myths about different cities/countries, so it is thanks to various forums like this that help to educate us about where we live.  Again thanks Troy.

Marg
MARG

Offline troy_curtis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 02:26:47 pm »
Thanks Troy for the lesson on Arizona I really appreciate it.  When I first came to Australia an Aunt of mine told me that I would see kangaroos running down the main streets and absolutely no Aboriginals at all which made me laugh.  Kangaroo DO NOT run down main streets.  You may see some occasionally where you normally wouldn't but they are either looking for water, have run away from somewhere or their habitat has been invaded by builders etc.  On our trip around Tasmania we have not seen one live one but we have seen lots of dead ones, hit by car after dusk.  The only live Aussie animal we have seen are Ecidnas.  As for Aboriginals we had a family living in our court and 2 family's at our primary school.  Which goes to show there are lots of myths about different cities/countries, so it is thanks to various forums like this that help to educate us about where we live.  Again thanks Troy.

Marg

I have a friend from Australia, he tells me they warn tourists about "Drop Bears" LOL now and then he posts pictures of them and one of their victims.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 10:33:34 pm »
You know it's funny I have not seen one sign saying that it's a koala area perhaps that don't have them on this little island of Tasmania, will have to check it out later.

Marg

MARG

Offline troy_curtis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 11:05:57 pm »
You know it's funny I have not seen one sign saying that it's a koala area perhaps that don't have them on this little island of Tasmania, will have to check it out later.

Marg

Well, my friend says that the Koala Drop Bear is a joke. Obviously they don't drop from trees and attack people.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 11:50:20 pm »
No but they can drop from trees and do serious damage to cars.  It happened to a friend of ours when they went to Philip Island and parked to close to the Koala Sanctuary.  The Koala had had far too many Eucalyptus leaves and was drunk on them.   :D :D :D

Marg
MARG

king310

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 07:01:10 am »
We call that GIN in the states.......You do have to admit that it is close.YAK!!! If I wanted something like that I would be like the kola....."munch"..."munch"

cherie

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 03:54:53 pm »
You may have gotten all the snow, but we got a load of ice here the other day!!. It was not fun I tell ya's.

SMF

Teknoromi