Author Topic: Maintenance, Scroll Saw service specifically for Porter Cable  (Read 1897 times)

IBMer

Maintenance, Scroll Saw service specifically for Porter Cable
« on: February 18, 2013, 08:58:12 pm »
I know a lot of people started out with Porter Cable scroll saws here.  I took mine partially apart today before making up my mind to buy a new saw.  Inside, I found a bunch of broken blade parts, and bits of scrap when I removed the side cover.    I cleaned it all out and sprayed the motor, shaft and cam with contact cleaner.   Nothing seems loose inside, but I was wondering is there any need to Lubricate the machine? 

I seem to recall my mother having to regularly oil her sewing machine to keep it running smooth.   Is it recommended to lubricate the moving parts of a scroll saw, or will this only attract dust and gum it up?   If lubrication is needed, what to use?  Oil, or some type of grease?

Maybe once it's cleaned out and lubed up, it will give me a few more months of usable service.  After all, it's only 3 months old.

John

The WoodArtist

Re: Maintenance, Scroll Saw service specifically for Porter Cable
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 09:17:45 pm »
I also use a PC (the one Lowes sells with stand) and mine is over a year old. I do maintence mine every other day and thought the same thing as yourself however, in the manual it states not to lube. I just blow mine out and vacum it out and once a month I get the wrenches and sockets and square and level out and go through and check everything. Mine is still working just as good as it did the first day I used it.

Mainewoods

Re: Maintenance, Scroll Saw service specifically for Porter Cable
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 07:20:38 am »
Never lubed mine, still runs fine.  I leave that cover off mine, just because it gets in the way sometimes.  Just blow the dust and bits out of it when you clean up. 

SMF

Teknoromi