Author Topic: Foredom rotary tools?  (Read 5819 times)

Retired Coastie

Foredom rotary tools?
« on: February 18, 2013, 03:58:54 pm »
Do any of you folks use the flex drive rotary tools similar to the foredom? What are your impressions of these as it relates to scroll saw and intarsia projects? Any feed back would be most helpful. Thanks!

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Re: Foredom rotary tools?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 05:08:32 pm »
I have wondered this too, as the dremel has a flex shaft attachment I have wanted so its easier to sand cut or grind small things instead of holding the whole dremel unit.

ToverT

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 05:55:42 pm »
I use the Guineveve Sanding system.  It is fantastic.  It has 2 inflatable drums.  One is a ball drum and one is a cylinder.  I use it everyday on bowls, baskets and even flat pieces.  It does a wonderful job on curved surfaces.

http://katools.com/carving-tools/guinevere-minature-finishers/

Tommy T

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 07:43:37 pm »
I bought one from Harbor Freight www.harborfreight.com/flexible-shaft-grinder-and-carver-40432.html Put some light grease in the handle before you use it the first time and it seems to work great. I've had it a few months, it does not get heavy use from me, but it does what I need it to do. It will take any 1/8th inch bit you need, for less than $50.00 you can't beat it. I use it mostly on my intarsia.

Bob
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:45:57 pm by TripleB »

Retired Coastie

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 09:36:24 pm »
Thanks for the input, it helps me in my search. Thanks again!

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 02:49:37 pm »
I have a couple of Foredoms and a couple Dremel, cordless types and use them all the time when making Intarsias   
But, unless you plan on doing a lot of heavy sanding/grinding with this type of tool I would recommend getting the cordless type. It's much easier to handle and you're not tied to one certain spot.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 05:19:51 pm »
I started with:  cordless Dremel rotary tool. Much to low on power.....
Next :             Dremel tool 115 volt......variable speed  Speed slowed down during use. Kinda bulky
Then :             Black and Decker rotary tool....(Three Speed) stronger than Dremel (and a lot cheaper) Still kinda' heavy and big to hold
Dremel with long flex drive... not as bulky
Now: Master carver (Similar to Foredom) Variable speed, strong, and light weight.
  I use my Mastercarver to round over small intarsia pieces that are hard to work with  on my drill press drum sander.  I also have the carving attachment for this tool that allows me to do internal detail carving on my inlayed images.

20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

multifasited

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 02:07:51 pm »
They all work well ,I have a foredom flex shaft ,a drill press with a flex shaft
several dremels ,both ways ,gwen inflatable s ,all are great and as verseital as you are ,great tools ,I would suggest you make a down draft table for sanding as they really do make the dust in a hurry ,diy down draft tables ,cheap and easy to build and very effective ,or at least wear a good mask.

Retired Coastie

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 11:22:43 pm »
I wound up buying the Foredom K5200 carving kit. I got it for my birthday! It runs very quiet with no heat build-up and no vibration. Thanks for sharing your experience and know how!

multifasited

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 07:58:59 am »
You will love it,If not let me know ,I would love to add a NEW one to the shop ,BTW I'm a ex Coastie too!
1958-62 North Atlantic ,SR Artic,bluenose welcome aboard ! Carl

Offline phantom scroller

• I'm Over the pond or In a pond. Hartpury in UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 09:20:24 am »
I use a SKIL 125watt with a flexible drive it's great to use, It's bit like a Dremel  with loads of attachments..

Roly

Retired Coastie

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 11:29:22 am »
You will love it,If not let me know ,I would love to add a NEW one to the shop ,BTW I'm a ex Coastie too!
1958-62 North Atlantic ,SR Artic,bluenose welcome aboard ! Carl

Thanks Carl! I hope to get lots of use out of it and may add the chisel hand set down the road. Before going int to the Coast Guard I spent time in the north sea on an oil tanker, very rough and cold. After that I flew over it a lot on international ice patrols in a C-130. Were never Ex Coasties, just inactive!

multifasited

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 11:45:10 am »
Semper paratus ! from the Ice Breaker EastWind!!

Retired Coastie

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 11:52:55 am »
Semper paratus ! from the Ice Breaker EastWind!!

Same to ya Carl! I had orders to the East Wind out of boot camp but traded them to a guy with a family and I went to isolated duty in Alaska on Attu Island.

Scroll Down

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 03:27:29 pm »
Are the flex shafts perm lubed or do they require maintenance?

In the market for something to shape and sand intarsia pieces.and don't have room for anything large at this time so a flex shaft unit seems ideal.

I tried to get in the Coast Guard but didn't meet the over 6' tall requirement and had to go regular Navy.. :)

SMF

Teknoromi