Author Topic: oscillating spindle sander  (Read 2286 times)

Offline gramps

• View Profile
oscillating spindle sander
« on: February 16, 2013, 04:15:33 pm »
 i have wanted  to give this art form a serious attempt for quite some time,and would like to know what others use for their sanding needs. i'm kind of leaning towards a rigid that also has a belt attachment. any thoughts are appreciated.
                          thanks again, fred

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
Re: oscillating spindle sander
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 07:29:49 pm »
I run the larger pieces of my intarsia projects over my round over bit in my router and the smaller pieces I round over on an inflated drum sander mounted in my drill press.  Very small pieces I round over with a Mastercarver tool.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 08:06:22 pm »
I use a couple of Horizontal, Pneumatic drum sanders as my main tools for shaping Intarsia pieces, along with Vertical spindle sanders.  The Ridgid combo sander is good starter machine and you may want to check out the Flex drum sander offered by Judy Gale Roberts at intarsia.com   
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 08:14:40 pm »
I have five electric sanders (including the Ridgid osculating one) and about eight hand sanding blocks and three types of sanding attachments that are used in the drill press. I use them all from time to time and each and every one has a purpose and are necessary for various needs. Just like clamps (84) and routers (6) you can never have too many sanding methods.  ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Gadois

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 03:09:47 am »
I have this oscillating drill press which serves both drilling and sanding purposes. The mandrel for the
sanding drums is an accessory as are the different sized drums. The table has various dimensioned inserts
which match the drums. I have never had a Shop Fox tool but this one has been reliable.

Cheers, Gadois

http://www.woodstockint.com/3-4-HP-Benchtop-Oscillating-Drill-Press/W1668

If you can't learn how to do something well, learn how to enjoy doing it poorly.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 06:18:40 am »
I have the Ridgid combo sander.  Use it all the time.  I have several hand sanders and a big Rikon Belt/Disc combo, but I use my Ridgid more than any of them.

SMF

Teknoromi