Author Topic: spray painting  (Read 1663 times)

rochar3

spray painting
« on: February 16, 2013, 11:41:50 am »
Hey Folks,

I have occasion to use a lacquer spray can and wondering what anybody does to eliminate the odor and over spray etc when painting in an enclosed area. Fans etc and other equipment everybody uses. As usual, thanks for your help.
Bob

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
Re: spray painting
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 02:48:19 pm »
if you had an extraction fan that would help alot. i don't have one ,i use a respirator mask when spray painting

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 05:22:47 pm »
I made this little booth. There is a box fan and furnace filter. It takes away the overspay and particles, but not the odor. I also wear a respirator while spraying. I like to do any spraying just before I leave the room, exept for adhesive. It's in my basement.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

old wormy

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 10:14:11 am »
Try shellac in a spray can. A lot less fumes and it works very well.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 11:32:02 am »
If weather is nice enough I go outside to spray or if have to do what I need to get stuff done then spray in the garage then leave and go inside and let it dry and air out.

grampa sawdust

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 06:17:04 pm »
like your set up Pete .  I usually in not so great weather open small garage door and box fan to take fumesout. If nice out open 16 foot door and fan or out side. Shelac and min-wax poly are less smelly just dry time a little longer.

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 07:42:59 pm »
Going outside to spray is not really an option here in Minnesota for half the year. :'(
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 08:29:07 pm »
I tried the spray shellac and had good results BUT I prefer a semigloss or matte finish which is available with the spray lacquer.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 11:09:01 pm »
Shellac is my go to finish.  I spray it either from a rattlecan or a compressor and gun depending on the size of the project.  After a few coats, and time to cure, I then rub it down with 0000 steel wool dipped in paste wax and buff it off.  Gives a silky smooth feeling finish with a great luster and no artificial looking gloss.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

IBMer

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 11:38:39 pm »
Lacquer is pretty, but it sure does stink.   I try to shoot it outdoors if the weather permits.  Otherwise I do it in my workshop, with a fan running and using a Respirator to protect my lungs.  Once done I give it a few hours to clear the air before going back to work.

SMF

Teknoromi