Author Topic: Insurance Companies... God love them...  (Read 2399 times)

IBMer

Insurance Companies... God love them...
« on: February 08, 2013, 09:34:00 pm »
So I went to CVS today to get my Life Sustaining Insulin.   They told me that I had plenty of refills, but that the insurance company refused to pay.   I asked what was up..   The insurance company wants your doctor to call them to validate.   What does that mean, I have 20 refills, and I obviously need these meds.    The Pharmacist tells me, it's not us, it's between your doctor and the insurance company.

Ok, but I ran out of insulin yesterday and you are telling me that I have to go without until Monday or Tuesday because the insurance company wants the doctor to validate.   He added that the insurance company wants to switch me from Humalog to Novolog.     Good for them, and in the mean time I'm supposed to go into Diabetic shock.   That's great, so the insurance company rather pay $30,000 when I have to go to the Hospital and spend the weekend there than pay for my meds now...   Perfect.      He told me, but we can give you your other meds..   I told the man, without insulin, what's the point...    Much good will the cholesterol medication do me when my kidneys fail.

Apparently stupid looks and blank stares are still Absolutely FREE....    That's just incredible that an insurance company would deny a patient of life saving meds, when they have refills on file, because they want you to use a cheaper medication.   If the doctor wanted me on different meds, he wouldn't have me on Humalog..  Oh, and for something like 8 years...

I told my GF that if I end up in the hospital over this, that it's her job to sue them all..      Thank you CVS, and Blue Cross Blue Shield, your customer service and personal touch are just amazing!

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Re: Insurance Companies... God love them...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 10:21:46 pm »
Yea I know they like do stuff like this its a crock of yaahoo if you ask me.

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 11:08:55 pm »
Didn't think much about insurance til I got the big 'C", now I look at those bills that for the most part they are paying and have a new understanding...though @over $1800 a month in premiums I really feel like I'm paying my share.
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

IBMer

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 11:48:55 pm »
I can see them wanting to change an antacid, or allergy meds, but you don't cut someone off from Insulin.    Diabetics go into shock and die without insulin.   I told them that I ran out 24 hours ago.   They didn't care.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 04:50:44 am »
I'd sue the a**e off them for putting your life in danger (diabetes is a killer if not controlled with meds) and also for all the stress they're putting you through. If they want to change the meds that a doctor prescribes then they should discuss it with the doctor while continuing to supply the prescribed meds, not stop your meds and put your life at risk.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 05:47:20 am »
That is absolutely disgusting.  I really hope you stay well until Monday when you can sort it out.  Please take care.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 06:30:04 am »
It is disgusting!  Can't you just buy enough to get through the weekend and sort it out?  I would really be upset with them though and I would try to get to someone who has some authority on the matter. It is just wrong. :(

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Shogun

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 07:56:46 am »
It is discusting, and it's the reason I loath insurance companies. I had the same thing happen to me with other maintenance medications, and the kicker is that I had been on them for years when they changed their "prefered medications" list. What really chaps me a** is that they don't call you or your doctor...you find out when you go to pick them up. and the really bad thing is that our costs keep going up to boot!! God bless corporate greed.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 11:31:31 am »
And now you understand just why I intend to get everything fixed that I can before midnight, Dec. 31, 2013!

Obamacare kicks in full force in 2014 and it will get progressively worse!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Shogun

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 12:50:53 pm »
Obama Care already hit home for me...they cut my wife back to 24 hours a week just so she won't be eligable for insurance where she works. I carry her on my ins. but it still put a big dent in our wallets.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 12:52:33 pm »
Obama Care already hit home for me...they cut my wife back to 24 hours a week just so she won't be eligable for insurance where she works. I carry her on my ins. but it still put a big dent in our wallets.

Alot of places are doing that, cutting back hours on people to keep from paying insurance or having to offer it. Or even laying off people to keep from it. Its more or less screwed those that are hard workers and are trying to make a living.

IBMer

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 06:15:58 pm »
A couple friends suggested that I buy my meds outright then work with the insurance company.   But since I don't have $1400 handy, I guess I'll wait until Monday and take it up with my doctor.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 06:39:52 pm »
I just suggested you buy for the two day weekend to keep you out of the hospital. Then take it up with your doc.  I wish you all the best.

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 07:37:18 pm »
One of the major factors that influences a diabetics sugar levels is STRESS. None of us need it least of all a diabetic. You are on Humalog for a reason, and that was because it works for you. I certainly hope I don't see the day when the insurance company screws with my wife's insulin.
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

grampa sawdust

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 08:08:23 pm »
Sorry I haven't been on in a few days. Sometimes insurances will OK a 3 days supply to get through the week end but evidently not that one. There should have been a Doctor on Call for your doctor that might have been able to approve for short time anyway. Dealing with insurances is not always fun. I deal with  Medicaid mostly so have a taste of our new Affordable Care Act. Pretty  much is the folks you deal with are not necessarily educated in medical care and most likely High school grads. The computers have a lot of data and if the criteria does not meet the set rules it kicks it out but no one knows how to check with common sense. I know it is late to answer but maybe this will help another time. Just remember the original medical law was a little over 2,000 pages and that has grown to over 13,000 pages in regulations and it is not even close to fully unwrapped It will be interesting next year.

SMF

Teknoromi