Author Topic: blade chart update  (Read 1949 times)

king310

blade chart update
« on: January 26, 2013, 03:57:28 pm »
I posted awhile back about what blade to use for different types of wood and projects. I e-mailed it to those who asked for it since I could not post it in the forum. This was to make sure that the forum would not be in violation of copyright laws and I would not want to try and challenge it in a court of law.
That said there is an additional chart by Olson for its scroll saw blades on the internet. I talked to AL Gore since he invented the internet ::) ::) ::)  I am posting the link to that site. This is also a good chart to reference the blade to use regardless of the name brand of blade you use.
There has been some question on blade size since some blades are sold do not carry a number such as a #7 #2/0 and so on.
This is a FYI link.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-16765698503918/ScrollChart.pdf

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
Re: blade chart update
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 04:10:25 pm »
Honestly those charts do not do a lot for me.  The chart I use is experience. In many situations I can use one, two , or three different blades and achieve th same results. In my opinion, the charts are for very very very general use.  For someone very new, it might be a place to start.

@ Dan  What do you tell your students abut blade choice?
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 05:12:12 pm »
Honestly those charts do not do a lot for me.  The chart I use is experience. In many situations I can use one, two , or three different blades and achieve th same results. In my opinion, the charts are for very very very general use.  For someone very new, it might be a place to start.

@ Dan  What do you tell your students abut blade choice?
I give them a copy of that very chart from Olsen. Since I teach at Woodcraft, I start them off with Olsen #5 skip tooth blades because the store carries Olsen blades, and they are able to buy some to take home. I explain that the chart is a general guide. I also go over various blade types and brands including Flying Dutchman and their source.
The reason we use skip tooth blades is they are a good general use blade, and I want them to get used to cutting without worrying about the wood slapping the table when using a reverse tooth blade.
Dan In Southern California

UHMNL

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 06:25:36 pm »
This mght be of some help:
http://www.mikesworkshop.com/whatblad.htm
FD Mike

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 07:29:31 pm »
I started off using the blades that came with my Porter Cable Scroll saw. BADDDDDD     I Got some from Lowes that winter when they were changing to a different brand. I got some Dremel, Skil and Vermont American ( including some spirals) for $1.00 a dozen on sale. I was in heaven. The were so much better that the PC blades. ( Plus I was out of them by that time) Several weeks later I teamed up with two friends and we made a trip to Woodcraft  It is 80 miles one way for me. I wanted so GOOD scrollsaw blades and I got some Olsen because that is what they sell. Once again I thought i had died and gone to heaven as the Olsen blades were far superior to the ones I was using. I used them a while and one of my friends gave me two blades one day and told me to try them. He told me what kind they were but I didn't remember. I tried them and once again Heaven bound! I called and got the name of the blades and  my friend even told me  where to get them.  Been with Mike and Flying Dutchman ever since. 
OH a foot note:  I did find Olesn blades at a local ( at least to me at the time)  hardware store The price was $8.99 a dozen. Shook my head and walke away
Footnote 2  I still have most of the blades I got from Lowes :(
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 08:45:37 pm »
I think it's a matter of finding the blades to suit your style of cutting I have tried most of Mike's and now use only UR blades as I like them
Jimbo

ShadowB6

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 11:12:35 pm »
I'm with you Jimbo. Eighty percent of my blade use are now the ultra reverse. Just love using them for several good reasons.

Mike

SMF

Teknoromi