Author Topic: Photo upload  (Read 1445 times)

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Photo upload
« on: January 20, 2013, 12:09:07 pm »
Steve's video on uploading photos says there will be more to come. Did those ever get posted? I tried the Picasa Album upload but just got a small rectangle on the blog rather than the picture. Here's a sample:

Did anyone post the process for reducing a local image to the 128kB limit for upload?

Thanks.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Becky

Re: Photo upload
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 06:40:17 pm »
I don't think there have been any additional videos.

First try converting your image to a .jpg.  The quality is decent for the web and it results in a much smaller type of file.  If you're taking the picture right off your camera it is probablty a huge file.  The good thing is, you probably got some photo editing software with the camera.  That should help you resize to a smaller picture.  If you don't have any photo editing software and are willing to download a free program, I have used this one and it is super easy.  http://www.snapfiles.com/get/pixresizer.html

There are many free programs out there to do simple photo editing.  If you don't like one, just uninstall it and try another.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 08:46:09 pm »
Microsoft Office Picture Manager is a good program to crop and to reduce the size of an image.  It is part of Microsoft Office so if you have Office, you should have the picture manager.  Find the image you want to work on and right click on it.  If one of the options is Picture Manager, use it to reduce the image.

At least that's how it works on my PC (Win XP).

Good luck,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 11:07:25 pm »
Microsoft Office Picture Manager is a good program to crop and to reduce the size of an image.  It is part of Microsoft Office so if you have Office, you should have the picture manager.  Find the image you want to work on and right click on it.  If one of the options is Picture Manager, use it to reduce the image.

At least that's how it works on my PC (Win XP).

Good luck,
Jim
Good suggestion. I did that with a few full-sized jpegs. They are 3008x2000 pixels, and the jpeg was 1.54MB. RIght Click and Open With.. MS Office 2010 (didn't mention Picture Manager, just MS Office 2010). On the menu, "Picture" has an item "Compress Pictures..." that gives the option of "Don't compress", "Documents", Web pages", "Email messages". The "Web Pages" option converted the 1.54MB file to 73kB. Here's a sample upload to this site using "Additional Options..." below.

Thanks for the tip.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 01:32:30 pm »
On my PC, if I right click on an image file, Picture Manager (PM) is under the "Open With" part of the list that appears.  PM has an "Edit Pictures" button which leads to, among other things, Crop and Resize - both useful for posting on this forum.  Resize reduces both the size (pixels) and the file size of an image.

Picture Manager seems to come with all versions of Office, up to 2010.  This link http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/help/about-picture-manager-HP001001721.aspx give 2 options to start PM to fix pictures. 

When you installed Office, was there an option to install PM?  You should be able to add it by inserting the Office CD and selecting modify.  Note - I'm assuming this will work, it works for other programs - perhaps someone can confirm or deny that this will work.

Good luck,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

SMF

Teknoromi