Author Topic: Tried to make angle grinder into 4 inch saw  (Read 5658 times)

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
Re: Tried to make angle grinder into 4 inch saw
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 05:23:37 am »
Please get a proper saw, remember, if you cut off all your fingers - how the hell are you going to pick them up to go and get them sewn back on??
I'm all for cutting corners and saving a penny where I can, but not when it's dangerous.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Dave W

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 12:53:11 pm »
I do enjoy the creative aspect of what you were doing, but table saws are not that costly if you don't need something high-end.  For instance, I have this model  http://www.lowes.com/pd_167737-46922-3310-01_4294702886__?productId=3184033&Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1
 , and it does everything I need it to and more.  Is it state-of-the-art?  Of course not.  Does it rip, miter, and crosscut?  Yep.  You may have to dial it in a bit and the fence sucks, but seriously, for the work I do, it does fine.  I actually picked mine up for $90 during Black Friday (with stand!); my circular saw cost more than that.  From personal experience, I shy away from any power tools sold at HF, and Lowes has an easy return policy if you are not satisfied or run into a problem.  Heck, I really don't even have the room for a nice, big table saw in my "shop" anyway :).

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 01:06:53 pm »
I have looked at that skil at lowes and didn't like was cheaply made, and yes the fence does suck, when you tighten it down the end pops up, so if you cut anything 1/4 or thinner its going to slide under the fence. Sears has a couple of table saws I like, I have had good luck with HF power tools, my angle come from there and has been great, HF return is good too if something is messed up or not right take it back and get another or get money back. Might be able to find a good one on craigslist one of these days, in fact there is a hitachi 10 inch table saw on there now for 150 if I had the Money I would buy it.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 01:55:29 pm »
I am happy with my Porter Cable Table Saw.  The rip fence works great. Lays flat, easy to adjust, and if you calibrate the rule on the front, it will be spot on on the measurement.  The mite gage however is another story.   I looked at all of the saws at Lowes and Home Depot when I purchased and even the more expensive saws came with a 10 cent miter gage.  I purchased an Incra miter gage and it is great.  Why cant the put a little more in to the miter gages?? The othe thing with the PC is it has different shaped blade guard and it has too much gap between the blade and the guard, bu tit is something I cam work around when needed.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 01:58:28 pm »
Oh I forgot, Glad to see you are sitlll with us Dirt Rider!!!!!  guess I can come from under the desk with King now.  ( I was a little leery when I read his post about the "girls" elsewhere.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 02:19:22 pm »
Yea its safe, I don't plan on using that, I am going to look at circular saw blades and setup up my folding table saw with the circ under it for now, just need a blade that will cut smooth and not splinter or tear out much, my guess is going to be a plywood blade or a 40 tooth carbide tipped blade.

king310

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 05:54:49 pm »
Billie he reminds me of a episode of mythbusters where they would spin CD's at high rpms and watched them explode. :o :o :o :o

Mainewoods

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 07:07:21 pm »
Dirtrider, if you were nearby me, you could have my old benchtop saw (ProTech).  I paid less than a hundred bucks for it at Menards when I was in North Dakota (mid 1990s).  It served me well, but I decided to upgrade to a DeWalt DW745 a little while back, that I found on craigslist. 

Just a note for you.  Even you can only afford a (cheapo) saw, you can make it cut well by simply putting a good quality blade on it.  I replaced the original blade on the ProTech with a $70 blade, and that made a huge difference in the quality of the cuts that saw could make!  As for the wimpy rip fences, those can be beefed up and made tight to the table by adding a sacrificial face to it.  Also, combo blades aren't usually worth the effort.  A good rip blade (24 teeth) and a good crosscut blade (60 teeth or more) will provide you with superior cuts than you'll get from a combo blade.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 07:23:56 pm »
I wish I was closer MaineWoods thanks for the offer. Sometimes people have to get cheap stuff to start out then move up when you get better. I will eventually get one.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 07:39:58 pm »
Power saw blades are not supposed to be used over 300RPM's and you are using yours at over 30,000RPM's, the mind boggles at to what would happen if the blade decided to quit, we would have one less member on the forum.
Please be careful
Jimbo

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 09:30:41 pm »
Sorry Jimbo but my Bosch runs at 5,000 rpm!
Most run at aprox 3,750 rpm.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 02:38:30 pm »
Sorry Jimbo but my Bosch runs at 5,000 rpm!
Most run at aprox 3,750 rpm.

~~~GB~~~
I stand corrected GB my angle grinder runs at 14,000RPM which I believe is norm for these tools, I used to use mine as a carver with a 4" Arbatec wheel, the teeth are like chain saw teeth,but I wore full protection face and hands as this is a scary piece of equipment
I would never put an ordinary saw blade on unless it was designed for the tool
Jimbo

king310

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 05:19:11 pm »
After reading all of the post I have come to the conclusion that dirtrider's new invention will end up in the Smithsonian Institute with it's own display.
Or it will be made into a movie by Stephen King ;D

Poor dirtrider! I am behind on this one. ;D

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 05:21:43 pm »
Or star in its own show "angle grinders gone wild"  ;D :D :o

IBMer

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 08:41:16 pm »
Wow, sounds like a weapon of Mass Destruction...

SMF

Teknoromi