Author Topic: would a bandsaw be better? (sorry for all the questions)  (Read 3033 times)

Candi_D

would a bandsaw be better? (sorry for all the questions)
« on: January 19, 2013, 06:11:17 pm »
Hi Guys (and Gals)

Sorry again for the 101 questions, I do so appreciate all of your opinions as experienced woodworkers though :)

As I mentioned in a post a few days ago I was considering getting a smaller tablesaw, but even after discovering the GRR Ripper I'm still terrified of them, and question if I really need one. I'm not looking to cut anything very large, mainly interested in making small things (book cases, shelves, cutting down wood to use in the scroll saw, etc). I'm wondering if I might be better off (and far safer) with a bandsaw?

I'd love any opinions!

Candi

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: would a bandsaw be better? (sorry for all the questions)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 07:00:59 pm »
For the projects you mentioned, I'd say you need a table saw. I couldn't see doing a book case on a band saw because the table is too small. With band saws, you are limited to about 12 or 14 inch cuts. I have an idea, why not get both? ;D
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 07:34:15 pm »
I believe that the band saw is "safer" than the table saw but be CAUTIONED   It too has safety issues and can hurt you bad.  Regardless of the power tool, safety,knowledge and common sense are very important.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Candi_D

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 07:43:20 pm »
Thank you gentlemen!

LOL Dan a man after my own heart ;)

Point taken Billy, I have a nice healthy fear of all my power tools. Off to watch another 100 videos or so and likely find some other tools I might need to add to my wishlist :)

king310

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 08:14:20 pm »
If you are worried about safety you should look into getting the saw stop. I have posted a link for you to check it out. Like all tools safety is first. Push sticks, feather boards and anti kick back kerfs knives are all items to help. You just need to know one simple rule. It may sound funny but it is the truth.
YOU ONLY NEED TO BE 3% SMARTER THAN THE TOOL YOU ARE OPERATRING.

http://www.sawstop.com/?gclid=CKqu2LTf9bQCFexAMgodeHgApQ

Candi_D

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 08:21:31 pm »
I agree the saw stop looks amazing, but I'm looking to build bookshelves for my girls, maybe twin sized beds,  doll furniture, birdhouses.... basically things along the lines of Ana White's site and that would never add up to the cost of the saw. Any woodworking I do is simply as a hobby :)

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 09:44:55 pm »
I had a table saw for probably 20 years and never once used it.  Anything I needed to cut I did with either the band saw or my radial arm saw.  The band saw is just an inexpensive table top but my radial is commerical grade which I picked up used for 175.00 12 years ago and I use it a lot to cut boards.  This might be something to think about. 
ChelCass

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 11:11:11 pm »
About the only way to get good square cross cuts and/or rip a board to width with any accuracy is with a table saw. I have a Jet table saw and a Delta miter saw but no band saw.
Band saws do have their place in a wood shop (really wish I had one) but, when you think about it, they are just over grown scroll saws (but a lot more dangerous). It is just a lot harder to get good 90 degree cuts or hold a board to a given width when ripping long ways. Miter saws can give you 90 degree cross cuts and almost any degree miter cuts but, can not rip a very long board with much degree of accuracy.
I build a lot of different things....Bed headboards, whatnot shelves, end tables, small cabinets etc along with scroll sawing and I could not do a very good job without my table saw. 
Common sense goes a long way when using any power tool. I always plan my cuts before turning on the saw. I will actually go through the motions of the planed cut with the saw turned off and watch where my hands and the wood will be as it goes through the blade when it is running. If I have any doubts that it might not be a safe thing to do, I will stop and re-think what I need to happen to make it safe.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 05:23:01 am »
Candi, I use both a table saw and a 12" sliding compound miter saw for all the things you mentioned.  I probably use the miter saw more than the table saw just because it is more convenient and easy to use.  Both saws are easy to use and basic safety rules apply.  Have a healthy respect for what they are but learn your tools well enough not to fear them.  Read your owners manual and refer to them regularly when doing something different or something you haven't done for a while.  I've been messing with wood my whole adult life and still have all 10 fingers because I pay attention to the rules.  All of my manuals are in the shop and are used as reference on a regular basis.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 06:15:47 am »
Is there a woodworking club in your area?

I belong to a club that has a table saw and bandsaws and there is always a member that will help you learn how to operate safely.

If a newbie is building a project, a member will help out. 

I much prefer a bigger table saw than the portables you where looking at as you have more control.  I can't imagine ripping a long piece on a bandsaw straight but than is me.

Don

Candi_D

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 03:40:54 pm »
Thanks everyone. I'm feeling better about a table saw again today, I had made the mistake of reading about/looking at some fairly graphic images of injuries which is what had me questioning it. I feel confident in my ability to be extremely careful with the tool and retain a healthy dose of fear along with experience as I get more comfortable. I was terrified of my miter saw at first and my little baby dewalt router but am comfortable with both now.

I'm thinking maybe I'll save up a bit longer and go with something a tiny bit better, still can't spend more then $500 but am now considering the Dewalt DW744X or maybe the Rigid from HD both of which have been recommended to me a few times. I'm partial to the Dewalt just because my other tools so far are Dewalts, but I need to research a bit more and price both around.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 04:49:24 pm »
Candi  the only suggestion I have about your last post is change fear to respect. Be aware of it capabilities both good and bad.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

king310

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 05:04:21 pm »
What ever you do about a saw just don't take advise from dirtrider. We are all hiding under the table dialing 911 for help ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o :o

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 07:35:36 pm »
Hey Hey, I nixed that project.  ;D With big power tools, and really anything of this nature read the manuals, leave it unplugged get use to everything on it, and always go slow, most times when you go fast in a hurry trying to rip numerous sheets of plywood for a job you get hurt. I see guys at work all the time want to hurt then almost get hurt.

ChuckD

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 04:34:59 pm »
I have had a small table top type saw and got rid of it in a hurry.  The biggest table saw you can get and the heaviest.  I cut a lot on my saw and that blade does scare me enough to highly respect it.  It can bite you in a hurry.  Keep all the guards you can on it, and if you have to take anything off, like to dado, put them back on NOW.  I use the GRRRRiper and push sticks and hold downs and anything else I can to keep my hands away from that blade.  Good Luck :):)

SMF

Teknoromi