Author Topic: My first pen  (Read 4468 times)

smitty0312

Re: My first pen
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 09:42:47 am »
That turned out awesome! Nice job.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 10:07:56 am »
Nice work indeed.  Thanks for sharing.  Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 07:58:00 pm »
They look good. I have made hundreds of pens but cannot sell them now as there is so many free bees around
What sort of finish do you use? I used Hutt wax and also super glue, both give a good finish
Jimbo

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 05:35:21 am »
That is certainly a keeper, you would not want to part with your first one.  My husband kept the first one he turned.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 07:57:43 am »
My preferred finish for pens is Boiled Linseed Oil and superglue, it gives a very nice shine and because of the superglue it is extreemly hard wearing. My Son in Law drives a London Bus and has used his all day every day, It has had 4 refills but still has the original shine.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 02:42:18 pm »
I prefer that as well Keefie but it takes longer to finish than the wax
Jimbo

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 02:53:15 pm »
My preferred finish for pens is Boiled Linseed Oil and superglue, it gives a very nice shine and because of the superglue it is extreemly hard wearing. My Son in Law drives a London Bus and has used his all day every day, It has had 4 refills but still has the original shine.
i don't make pens but i was just wondering about the Boiled Linseed Oil and superglue do you do s coat of each or mix them together ?

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 06:03:39 pm »
My preferred method is to take a sheet of paper kitchen towel and fold it in half lenghtwise untill it is about 1" wide. Take the folded towel and put a very little BLO on the end of it (about 5 - 6 drips) with the lathe at high speed (2000rpm) wipe this over the length of the pen blank for about 5 seconds with light pressure, using the same part of the towel put a small pool of ca glue (4 - 5 drips) on it then apply this to the underside of the blank and move it side to side fairly fast while keeping an even pressure on it. It will go quite dull and misty looking but keep it moving with the pressure and it will turn shiny after a few seconds, it should get warm while doing this, if it gets hot you have too much glue. after it goes shiny cut off the used section of towel and repeat the process. I usually put 8 coats on each section of the pen. Each coat takes about 15 seconds once you get used to it.  I have made up a board with dowels to take 10 pairs of pen blanks and as each is finished I put it on that then leave them overnight to fully harden. (you can assemble them straight away if needed, but I prefer to leave them overnight) Hope this helps.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 07:41:52 pm »
Keith I am a little confused, and it doesn't take much to confuse me. I watched several U-Tube videos showing that process, but they used an "excelerator spray" between coats. You use the BLO first, then the CA, with no excelator spray. What do you allow for drying time between coats. I did one tonight and I am not happy with the finish. I had the lathe on slow speed. I alternated between BOL and CA with no excelator spray. I did not allow very much time between coats. Any advice?  I have BLO and double boiled BLO any difference?
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Dave W

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 08:21:33 pm »
When I do my CA finish, I simply put a thin coat of oil on the bare wood, then friction dry it.  Once dry, I start with one coat of Thin CA, then let it dry, followed by two coats of Medium CA.  I don't use accelerant or oil, and wait 4-5 minutes between coats.  After the last coat is dry, I go at the pen directly with the micro-sanders (dry).  Starting at 2400 and ending at 12000, the CA will really start to take on a great luster.  Once that is done, I finish it off with a dab of Hut Plastic polish and buff it out just to give it that little extra gloss.  At the end of the day, the CA comes out looking like glass :)

Offline Tomsunnu

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 08:35:28 pm »
Looks beautiful.

Thanks for sharing
Mahendra
mahendra

Offline towdude3

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 10:37:02 pm »
I got hooked on pens about a year ago. I started with wood and moved to acrylic. The acrylic do take longer but I like the look better. Just have to be careful when drilling them, I heard they will explode. I have not had any problems yet. You just need patience and sharp tools.

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 10:53:13 pm »
Nice pen. I think olive wood looks good in a pen. I still have to do my first pen. Have a friend who can show me how, just need to find the time. Thanks for sharing.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 01:57:07 am »
Pen Makers Guild is a good site for learning how to make pens also for finishing
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi