Author Topic: what to do first: glue or lacker finish  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
what to do first: glue or lacker finish
« on: January 19, 2013, 03:23:15 am »
I have my way of working but I'm not always satisfied with it so I want to know what's your way of working?

my question:

when I glue my work on a backer and then finish it with glossy lacker the areas along the glued parts and the corners never get enough lacker and keep dull.
so instead I sometimes finish my work before I glue it together.
But then I have the feeling that the "contact glue" isn't that good as the wood glue and on some little spots I see the glue coming out.
removing it wrecks the lacker finish so I have to spray again and the problem is back to the beginning of my question.....  8) ::)

so who do you guys and gals work,

glue first or finish lacker first?
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: what to do first: glue or lacker finish
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 06:11:08 am »
I do the glue up first.  When I spray, I tilt the piece and spray a light coat in 4 different directions.  I use a piece of brown paper in between coats and do it all over again.  That usually gets all the cuts finished.

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 07:56:16 am »
You could spray a bit of lacquer on a non porous surface (i.e. the inside of the cap) and use a small paint brush to touch up the corners.  Likewise if you use wood glue after the lacquer and you see squeeze out glue, use a small damp brush to remove it while it is still wet.

Karl

Shogun

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 09:20:45 am »
Marcellarius, I do a lot of what I call "laminate work" or a thin cut out glued to a backer. I have found the same problems with it. I always lacker first. then glue. But what I do since contact or wood glue doesnt work well on a lackered finish is actually use super glue. I get it cheaper at the Dollar store and once I apply the glue I simply hold it in place for a minute. Hope this helps.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 11:27:03 am »
Doing detailed portraits makes it impossible to spray after gluing so I do the lacquer spray first, touch up sand with the paper bag and then take Alene's Tacky glue, squeeze some into a plastic lid and use an artist paintbrush to apply the glue to the back of the piece I am gluing. Once I have the glue on in sufficient amount and in enough places I feel it will hold I put the piece on the backer, put a sheet of 1/2" plywood over the face and set a gallon can of paint on top for a couple hours. I have never had a piece separate.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 12:42:39 pm »
I do the glue up first.  When I spray, I tilt the piece and spray a light coat in 4 different directions.  I use a piece of brown paper in between coats and do it all over again.  That usually gets all the cuts finished.
I do exactly as Julie!
Dan In Southern California

king310

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 08:55:40 pm »
What I do when I have a piece with a backer is glue it and make sure all the excess is wiped off with damp paper towel. after it dries and when I am ready to coat it I attach a command strip hook to the back of the project and using wire I hang it from a piece of 2x2 stretched across saw horses and spray. After it dries I remove the command strip and TA TA DAAAAAH. No muss no fuss.

I just acquired a 3 hook hanger. The type you hang over the back of your door. FREE what can I say?

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 09:53:46 pm »
Depending on the piece, I may use the paint points but I also use and old lazy susan from a yard sale. Just spin to spray all sides
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 06:20:20 am »
thank you all for the information,
with some small inner cuts (some smaller then 1/16") I find the brush not suitable.
especially not in pointy corners.
but spray doesn't do well there either.

maybe I should switch from glossy to semi gloss, this way it's not that clearly visible that it's not shiny in the corner.

thanks again!
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 04:49:08 am »
I have never heard of using brown paper.  How is it used and how do you do it?

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 06:46:43 am »
Brown paper - I keep a roll of brown paper in the shop (available in any paint department)  to put under projects, make templates and yes, sand with.  It works like a very fine grit sandpaper.  Spray finishes leave a little rough from very small air bubbles in the finish.  A quick buff with brown paper and they are smooth as a baby's butt.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 07:52:01 am »
I use cardboard from around the house under projects. Cereal boxes, soda boxes etc.  My brow paper comes from the grocery store.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 05:05:20 am »
Wow thanks for that Julie, I had never heard of using brown paper before for standing.  I have a large roll in the kitchen cupboard that never gets used, it will now.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline slowcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 10:01:37 am »
Marg
Brown paper is like 600 grit sand paper.
JP

S - ee
M - iracles
I - n
L - ife
E - veryday

SMF

Teknoromi