Author Topic: would I be a hypocrite????  (Read 2060 times)

king310

would I be a hypocrite????
« on: January 17, 2013, 07:45:30 pm »
After losing my saw to poor quality construction and tell the company that I would not buy a product that they sell. This brings me to my dilemma about my next purchase of a saw.
While I ponder my purchase of I am faced with an ethical problem.
1: I like the Dewalt 788 but it is a subsidiary of Stanley Black n Decker.
2: The reviews have not been that great. Better than PC
3: I can get a better deal online than buying from a local dealer. $549.99 with light and stand included
4: I like the Black n Gold Excalibur but the price may be more than I want to spend. The shipping and tax put it over the top.
5: I like the delta 40-690 which has a better review over the 40-695 and the Dewalt 788. But also have to purchase online.
6: The other saws are just out of my league unless I cash in some savings............NOT.
7: Or am I just to tight and go and buy a $64 machine and just throw them away instead of changing the blade? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: would I be a hypocrite????
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 08:13:16 pm »
Consider this King, most of todays tool company's are no longer manufactures but rather tool distributors. For instance Porter Cable. That name used to mean tools made in America by Porter Cable. Now they are  a division of Black & Decker. The scroll saw is made to their specs by a Chinese co. Chances are this exact saw is sold by other company's around the world.
The DeWalt 788 and the Delta 40-690 are the exact same saw except for color and emblems. The only difference is you get the stand and a cheap light in the box with the Delta saw. The stand and light are extra with the DeWalt saw. The 40-690 is no longer being made as Delta is now owned by another co. The Delta 40-695 is a newer saw, but is based on the DeWalt saw and have many parts in common including the blade clamps and thumb screws.
Between these three saws, I recommend the DeWalt 788 because DeWalt has a thirty day no questions asked return policy.
As far as the Excalibur, It is by far the better saw of those above, but has its own set of issues.         
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:16:17 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

king310

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 08:41:44 pm »
Dewalt is part of Black n Decker along with Porter Cable http://www.stanleyblackanddecker.com/products-services/our-brands
Delta was sold and is now a stand alone company again called Delta Power Equipment Corp. In January, 2011, Taiwan-based Chang Type Industrial Co., Ltd. purchased the Delta brand from Stanley Black & Decker. Chang Type formed a wholly owned subsidiary. They sell products through its OEM/ODM client brands, such as Ryobi, Craftsman, Black & Decker, and Dewalt to various retailing channels.
The are the same saw made by the same company but brands are owned seperatly. Does that make sense?

Becky

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 11:14:01 pm »
I've got the DeWalt.  FWIW, I've had to put in a new switch but, other than that, I have been really happy with my saw. 

What I don't think you want to do is cut off your nose to spite your face.  You were venting and we all get a little over the top when venting.  Get what you want and can reasonably afford.  If you think the DeWalt is your best option at this point, I would say just go for it and don't lose any sleep.

Coullion

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 12:43:03 am »
I wouldn't be to hasty ruling out the Excalibur. You can get the EX-16 for $574.00 also. Really don't need the stand as it will be smooth on any bench that you have or make a stand yourself. You can get a magnifying LED light from Harbor Freight Tools for $35.00. I purchased my Excalibur from Ray at Seyco and have never looked back. Great investment and great service from Ray. Resale is also very good with these saws. Just my 2 cents.

Todd

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 01:24:01 am »
My $69 machine from Harbor Freight works pretty darn good. I paid an extra $20 for a 2 year warranty. I can turn it in for a new one in 2 years and pay another $20 for another 2 years. So basically I am paying $10 a year for a saw that cuts wood just fine. I guess I could have spent $800 or more and got a saw that cuts a bit better, but then I couldn't afford the blades or the wood. Funny thing is my Harbor Freight makes some pretty decent things. I think I will stick with it.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 07:22:43 am »
Before you totally rule out the EX, consider the lifetime warranty.  I have never had an issue that didn't get solved immediately through Ray at Seyco.  When I needed a part - it came next day at no charge to me and Ray talked me through fixing it over the phone - no matter how long it took.  I bought it from Ray @ Seyco.  I used to live 10 minutes from his shop and would not hesitate to buy from him again.  My saw was used when I bought it and he has treated me and my saw with first class care from day one.  It is now 10 years later and me and my saw are still going strong.

Mainewoods

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 07:44:54 am »
If you try (and not very hard for that matter) you can come up with a reason to rule out every saw currently available.  Quality/Price/Warranty/Availability of Parts...etc. etc.
Ultimately, you may regret whichever saw you choose, but as the old saying goes, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained". 

Find a saw you think you'd like to have, and if it's within your budget, go for it!  Don't over scrutinize parent companies, or subsidiaries, or marketing strategies...you'll drive yourself nuts!  This is about scrolling, not about who has makes/sells the best saw. 

Other than losing the blower, I never had any issues with my PC saw.  My main reason for upgrading was because it was so hard on my back to bottom feed the blade, and since I do mostly fretwork, I did a lot of stooping.

My point here is don't be afraid to try again.  Someone has issues with every single brand available.  Pick something you think you'll like, and get to sawing again!

Sorry for spouting.  I'll shut up now.   :-\

countryscroller

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 08:07:28 am »
To me my Dewalt works great! I had to get a fill in saw before I got the DW 788 and it was the HF saw. I thought that saw was the biggest piece of junk ever. Blade change very difficult especially for fretwork, cutting thick wood, well forget trying. Once I got my Dewalt, I was in heaven. I'm not telling you it is the best, because I have no experience with other saws, but it was deffinately worth the money. To me there is no sense in getting a new saw that is crap, get one that is actually worth your money. Even a Craftsman is better than the HF saw.

SMF

Teknoromi