Author Topic: hanging it up for today  (Read 3455 times)

Shogun

hanging it up for today
« on: January 15, 2013, 09:41:17 am »
Hi again everyone. I need some input here. I was up early ang out to the shop anxious to get started. Tried two different pieces and screwed up the lettering on both beyond fixing. It's 3/4 inch letters and it's the tight turns on the B's and S's that get me. Same thing happened yesterday, and I'm frustrated. I'm getting older and my eyes are not what they where, but I use a magnifier. My hands aren't as steady either. I know everything was set up properly because I alwayse check first. Now, here is the thing...I always use a Flying Dutchman #5 blade but now after the last two days I'm thinking I shoulde be using a smaller blade for this lettering. Would love to hear anything anyone hes to say on it. Thanks.

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
Re: hanging it up for today
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 09:58:12 am »
What I did when I first started was grab a scrap piece and practice on the letter I was having most problems with and different sized blades.  One thing I learned was cut to the point if a 90 degree of 45 degree then back up, cut thru the waste and hit the other side of the angle at a perfect straight on instead of trying to turn the blade at the apex of the angle.  Hope that helps. ???

Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 10:35:10 am »
I always start by cutting a simple puzzle.It's like warming up befor running a mile race.Sounds crazy--but it works for me-pluse I have a puzzle cut for my granddaughter or who ever.

countryscroller

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:37:19 am »
For tight turns I use even a #3

Shogun

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 10:40:49 am »
Pete, I'm not new at scrolling but none the less thats a good tip and something I've never tried before...I'll see if it works for me and let you know. Thanks.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 10:44:59 am »
Shogun....  If you are using a soft wood such as pine I have become a strong believer in using a FDUR-#1 blade.  Keep tension set correctly, don't push the wood into the
blade.  Learn to hold a corner of the blank and rotate it slowly while cutting a curve.
Keep the saw speed around 75%.  A slow speed to me seems to loose control.  Just
because speed is fast doesn't mean you have to cut fast.  My 2 cents....Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:50:02 am »
I know a lot of scrollers here would use a #3 for something like that, but I use a #1 for 95% of all my cutting, sometimes I go up tp a #2 blade but not often. I know it means slower cutting, but I feel more comfortable with those sizes of blades, and I believe you should use something you are comfortable with. Try it with the smallest blade you have, if you don't like it you can always go up a blade size or two.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Shogun

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 11:01:21 am »
Keefie, thanks...I tend to cut pretty slow anyway so I'm going to see how that works out for me.

Shogun

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 11:23:24 am »
I have gotten a few good suggestions on this. I know one tecnich doesn't work for everyone, so I'm considering something else...for example: I never have been comfortable using the proper tecnich for cutting an inside 90 deg. angle, what I do, even though it takes a couple of seconds longer is cut up to my line, back up a hair and then make a second cut right next to it (in effect making the "cut out" twice the width and then turning into the corner. Having said that...I also occasionally use me blade as a "sander" by skimming along the burred side of the blade to smooth up small places. What if I cut past the tiniest curves to make a 90 deg. and then clean them up  after the waste drops away? I know it's more time consuming but what are everyone's thoughts?

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 11:28:45 am »
Those are some techniques I teach my students! Whatever makes your cutting easier.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 06:34:07 pm »
I sometimes drill a larger hole in the center of a B, R, P,O and even in an S so that all I have to cut is the square corners of the letter. That may be considered as cheating but, I don't care, it works for me.  ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 09:48:55 pm »
I use a spiral blade.  Just a thought.
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 08:05:52 am »
Try some different blades.  What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.  The right blade is the one that works right for you.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 11:16:17 am »
I use a spiral blade.  Just a thought.
I've got a Porter-Cable saw and tried using some Olsen spiral blades, but the blade end would bend when I tried to clamp it. Flat plain-end blades work fine in this saw, but the spirals just will not hold. One even broke when clamping it. Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong when tightening the clamp? I tried to tighten them just like I do the flat blades.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 11:39:11 am »
Off hand it sounds to me like the set screw on the blade clamp has backed into the hole a bit and is causing the blades to bend. Check that.

I tried the Olson spirals and didn't have good results. I use the FD New Spiral #2/0 almost exclusively and have had tremendous results.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi