Author Topic: Stack cutting..???  (Read 2143 times)

tundraguy

Stack cutting..???
« on: January 08, 2013, 10:35:22 pm »
So what is the prefered way of holding the stack together..??? I have done the tape around...but I cant seem to get it to stay tight when I am cutting....any sugestions would be great..Thanks....

Jim....

Becky

Re: Stack cutting..???
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:46:25 pm »
I use the tape - blue painters tape to be specific.  It has some stretch to it so I find it holds just fine if I pull it tight when wrapping the wood pieces.  Do you wrap in both directions?  I've read about putting tacks in the wood to hold it or using a hot glue gun but I have never tried either.  I just never had trouble with the tape.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:51:37 pm »
I just finished cuttin  18 memorial crosses for a famly member that passed in October. I used 1/4 oak ply, stack cut two at a time. I used 3/8 inch staple3s to put the two pieces together. Just put a staple in each corner and cut away  I have been wanting to try the hot glue and finally got the right size glue sticks  and will try that next time. I have used the staples on Baltic birch h also
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline rrjwright

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 11:19:02 pm »
I tape the stack  together first just to hold them and use the hot glue gun in a couple of spots on all four sides.  Works great for me.
Scroll'n... Scroll'n.... Scroll'n
Keep that Sawdust Flow'n

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 04:57:31 am »
Sometimes I put finish nails into the waste areas, I clamp the stack first then use the nail gun to drive the nails. Other times I tape. I always put the stack in my wood vice to make sure it is tight together. Make sure the stack is tight, I think that is the main thing no matter what method you use. I have also tried the hot glue but I don't like that method.
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 06:03:33 am »
I used to use the double sided carpet tape method, but i found that I like hot glue much better.  I just put a small dot in the waste area and it holds great.  I try not to get it on the cut areas though because it can be hard to remove. If I do, I put the piece in the microwave for 5-10 seconds and it comes right apart.  It is easy and fast and reliable. :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

old wormy

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 09:53:02 am »
I use hot glue dabs on the sides of the clamped stack in 4 places.

ChuckD

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 05:28:13 pm »
I use round toothpicks.  Drill the right size hole and put glued toothpicks in the hole.  Break them or sand the toothpick off, clamp it for a few minutes and your ready to go with out digging a gouge in your table or cutting a staple with your blade.  The glue on the toothpicks also hold the stacks together so no sawdust between the boards.  Also cheap.  Good Luck  :):)

tundraguy

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 10:31:25 pm »
WOW Thanks for all the input.....think ill try the hot glue....and always keep the blade going up and down....

Jim...

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 12:47:59 am »
I have tried stack cutting twice. The first time was a horrible experience. I learned from it though. I used clear packing tape and wrapped the wood fully. Then I put the pattern over the tape. When it came to cutting the outside edges I learned to drill a pilot hole close to the edge. Then I cut the shape out and it turned out fine. I cut 5 snowflakes using 1/4 BB. They all turned out great and I made a $40 profit from that project. I plan on doing some more stack cutting work soon. So many bits of good advice on this post. Thanks to all for good info. I might try some of these other ideas.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 01:36:23 am »
I use the 1,5" painters tape and cover it all, but the hot glue is a great idea.
gonna try that the next time!
thanks for bringing this up
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SMF

Teknoromi