Author Topic: BURNING WOOD....pyrography....  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
BURNING WOOD....pyrography....
« on: January 08, 2013, 06:53:57 pm »
I am just around the corner and have serious feelings towards LEARNING how I can
use my Scrolling skills and and BURN WOOD ALSO.  Just a simple term.  LOL  I would
love to here ALL the PROS and CONS of this VENTURE. 
     My first Con feelings are it will make SMOKE and smell up the place. 
                           Thanks for ALL of YOUR ....Advice to me....  Danny  :+}

Oh yea....  Hope there are some out thar that BURN WOOD. 
Danny  :+}

ToverT

Re: BURNING WOOD....pyrography....
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 07:49:30 pm »
To burn successfully you should use a unit that has adjustable temp, like the one I use at this link, The Razor Tip
http://www.razertip.com/miva5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RII&Category_Code=PT

Different Pens give different results and you have to practice practice practice.  I bet you've heard that before.  The process is similar to scroll sawing.  I "transfer" an image to the wood (I use Graphite paper for that) then burn in the image on the wood.  The real skill comes in after that, the detail and shading, etc.  Thats why you need a unit that adjusts temps!

Give it a shot.  It's great fun and really does well at craft shows!

Tommy T

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:11:34 pm »
Thank You Tommy....  This type of reasoning is what I think I need.  I am a fairly
Good type of artist ....at least in my mind and I have looked at many very good
looking projects that were using this method and I LIKE WHAT I SEE....  Danny  :+}

Offline scotti158

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:13:32 pm »
This is the one I have : http://www.woodcarverssupply.com/NEW-BURNMASTER-EAGLE-2-PENS10-TIPS-BAG/productinfo/499202/ Works great and you can have 2 pens set up ready to use with a flip of the switch. Also has the adjustable heat. Much better than the single tip soldering iron type.
Tilt-O-Scroll DW788 Owner/Operater

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 08:44:02 pm »
I haven't done any wood burning yet but, I have used a vibrating engraver to etch a few words and then rubbed stain into the groove/cut to darken it. After the stain dries I sand off the top surface of the project  back to the natural wood for contrast before doing the final finish.

Rog 
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

ToverT

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 09:06:43 pm »
Danny,

You might have already seen this plaque I made for a friend in Florida.

http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=12216.0

Tommy T

countryscroller

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 10:03:43 pm »
I have a very basic wood burner that I got from Walmart for under $10 and I mainly use it to sign my work. I love the smell of the smoke that comes off especially if it is birch or cherry!

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 07:43:36 am »
When I do my scroll work and woodturning I have loads of designer firewood that smells great as it burns lol.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

thumbs

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 07:49:54 am »
Danny--as soon as the weather get better I'm going to do some wood burning--I have a 55 gal barrel out back just right for designer firewood--let me know how you are getting along with wood burning project--Richard :o :o :o :o

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 12:18:32 pm »
Now that was a Funny Richard.  Hehe....Haha, but maybe if and when I buy all I will
need to start burning I bet from mistakes I probably will have some designer firewood.
        Funny....  LOL  Danny  :+}

etcher

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 04:55:19 pm »
This is actually a subject I know something about (unlike using a scroll saw...but I'm getting there...)

I've been wood burning for many years and have a Nibsburner for my intricate work but use a 20 dollar unit I bought at Michaels with an adjustable temp for my general work.  Mostly I use wood burning on trinket boxes that I give to family members as gifts.  The reason I'm experimenting with using a scroll saw is that I'd like to integrate scroll saw cutting, colored resin inlay and wood burning to highlight the resin inlays.  Of course, it's all theoretical because I'm still trying to cut a decent 90 degree angle on the scroll saw...

If you'd like to look at my blog (there are a few entries on my wood burning projects) you're welcome to do so.  I hope you get some new ideas!

http://etchstitchandburn.com/

Good luck!!!

Dixie

Dean A

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 09:22:56 am »
Dixie, your woodburning and painting skills are awesome!

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 11:19:22 am »
Dean got it right Dixie, awesome work .
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

etcher

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 04:37:39 pm »
*blush!*

thanks....

;D

Dixie

king310

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 08:51:53 pm »
great job dixie. The way my luck is today I would burn my shop down ;D ;D ;D

SMF