Author Topic: Making Patterns  (Read 1548 times)

saggioculo

Making Patterns
« on: December 28, 2012, 10:34:06 am »
I'm sure there is a tutorial on how to make my own patterns, but I've been unable to find it.  The only program I have is Gimp which I really like but don't use it to it's full potential.  I simply get too confused about layers and all those other tools to draw and paint and lasso and cut and copy and ...ahhhhhhh!!!
I do so wish there was a program/tutorial that was made so that even a 5 year old can understand it...then again, when I got my first computer my daughter (7 at the time) had to teach me how to use it.  UGH!!!
I do truly hate imposing on others to make patterns for me.  I did ask my daughter (25 yrs old now) to teach me, but she doesn't really use those types of programs so she can't really help with this one.
So, if anyone knows of a really simple to follow tutorial on how to use Gimp to make stencils...I would be so great appreciative!!!!

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Making Patterns
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 10:50:52 am »
Another free program is Inkscape. Just do a search.  There are numerous tutiorals on the internet.  It is similar to Gimp, but I found it easier to learn for me.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 11:29:02 am »
i have both gimp and inkscape but i still cant make nice patterns.there are videos on you tube for how to use both programs. or you can go to scrollsaw village like i did and downloaded there tutorial videos for both programs and there very will explained.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 05:19:29 pm »
Travis at Scrollsaw Village has a very extensive set of tutorials for pattern making with Gimp and Inkscape...

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com

~~~GB~~~
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 01:09:36 pm by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

saggioculo

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 12:37:28 pm »
I'm checking out scrollsawvillage.  Very helpful.  I also think I might give that inkscape a try as well.  Thanks so much everyone!!!

SMF

Teknoromi