Author Topic: Copyright Issues in Pattern Making  (Read 2185 times)

countryscroller

Copyright Issues in Pattern Making
« on: December 25, 2012, 12:55:31 pm »
I just got Coyote Stencil Shop 3 for Christmas today and was playing around on it. I was wondering about the copyright issues there are when it comes to me posting a pattern of someone famous. Am I aloud to post a pattern of say, John Wayne? I just want to know that way I don't get in any trouble by posting a pattern of someone. Thanks.

countryscroller

Re: Copyright Issues in Pattern Making
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 07:58:15 pm »
So as I understand I can make a pattern of anyone from a Google image and it is ok?

king310

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 08:51:50 pm »
I am suprized you are not watching the John Wayne marathon on AMC......I took a class on copy right just fyi

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 09:51:03 pm »
I hate to burst your bubble but king310 and newfie are not totally right.  >:(  If you created the pattern make sure you are not violating any trademark or copyrights. For example, uploading a pattern of the Harley Davidson emblem is a no-no. Disney characters, School mascots, College mascots, NFL, NASCAR, NHL, MLB, NBA and some celebrity images, etc... are all on the forbidden list.

You can create any pattern you want for your own use. But if it violates trademark or copyrights do not post it here or there will be big problems.  >:(

Bottom line is anyone can give advice all you want, just not on Copyright/Trademark issues. That is reserved for Steve Good and myself so that there is no confusion on the issue here on the forum. Some people in the past have been given misleading information.  >:(
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 12:17:34 pm by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

countryscroller

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 10:33:28 pm »
Ok thanks Russ.

saggioculo

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 10:22:26 am »
I hate to burst your bubble but king310 and newfie are not totally right.  >:(  If you created the pattern make sure you are not violating any trademark or copyrights. For example, uploading a pattern of the Harley Davidson emblem is a no-no. Disney characters, School mascots, College mascots, NFL, NASCAR, NHL, MLB, NBA and some celebrity images, etc... are all on the forbidden list.

You can create any pattern you want for your own use. But if it violates trademark or copyrights do not post it here or there will be big problems.  >:(

Bottom line is anyone can give advice all you want, just not on Copyright/Trademark issues. That is reserved for Steve Good and myself so that there is no confusion on the issue here on the forum. Some people in the past have been given misleading information.  >:(
OH NO!  Celebrity images are on the forbidden list?  OK...I've recently posted finished (practice) projects of like the Ratpack, Cary Grant, Anne Bancroft and maybe some others.  Have I made a grave mistake here?  Alot of celeb stencils I get from a "stencil" site that allows use of their stencils...for personal use only.  Have I really broken the rules here?  I'm kind of freaking out now.   Please advise!

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 11:03:47 am »
May read the fine print from that site, personal use could mean for you to make them and keep them in your home and not sell for profit. I would think that once a person picture has been taking and put online then its open use, but could be wrong. I know some logos have trademark and copyright laws to back them to keep them from being copied and sold for profit. But I don't see whats wrong with say the harley logo being cut out for somebody if thats what they want of they are a harley fan and rider. I myself am and big fan of the former Dale Earndhardt SR and want to cut out some stuff of his, but may not be able to sell it since it will be a copy. I plan on buying scroll saw pattern books form book stores and checking out library books to get patterns from that have no copyrights to them and allow those to be cut out and made.

saggioculo

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 11:10:53 am »
May read the fine print from that site, personal use could mean for you to make them and keep them in your home and not sell for profit.

The celeb patterns I've done are for my own use...not for sale.  To the best of my knowledge the only pattern I have that holds a copyright, I have written permission from the original artist.  I plan on cutting the pattern soon.  While I hope to post this finished pattern in the "Brag" room, I will still ask the artist if I can share it on this forum (share a picture of the finished piece).  If the piece comes out good, I plan on sending it to the original artist as well.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 03:44:08 pm »
Posting a photo of an image that has been made into a pattern and then cut FOR YOUR OWN USE and not for sale is permitted in most locations.

IF you post the pattern from which you made the particular item you stand the chance of Steve Good being sued for copyriught infringement!

WHEN IN DOUBT...DON'T!!!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

saggioculo

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 03:51:08 pm »
Posting a photo of an image that has been made into a pattern and then cut FOR YOUR OWN USE and not for sale is permitted in most locations.

IF you post the pattern from which you made the particular item you stand the chance of Steve Good being sued for copyriught infringement!

WHEN IN DOUBT...DON'T!!!

~~~GB~~~

So, it's ok that I posted pics of the celebs I've cut out?  Not to beat a dead horse, but I want to make sure I've not made any mistakes.  I will say, even if it is OK to post such completed projects of this nature, I probably won't do it anymore because I'm so freaked out about this issue.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 04:07:05 am »
If you read my post again you will see I said " You can create any pattern you want for your own use. But if it violates trademark or copyrights do not post it here or there will be big problems." >:(

The key word here is "pattern". Second key word is "some celebrity images"

You can post pictures of your finished projects all you want and what you do with them (finished projects) is your own business. Posting a picture of your finished project that is for your own use does not violate copyright/trademark laws.

Once again, anyone can give advice all you want, just not on Copyright/Trademark issues. That is reserved for Steve Good and myself so that there is no confusion on the issue here on the forum. Some people in the past have been given misleading information.  >:(

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 04:11:51 am by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SMF

Teknoromi