Author Topic: How the heck do I use this... new plunge/table router  (Read 10778 times)

Candi_D

How the heck do I use this... new plunge/table router
« on: December 21, 2012, 09:12:44 pm »
I bought this router today from Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/pd_231428-11241-7337_0__?productId=3726236&Ntt=router&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Drouter&facetInfo=

seemed like a pretty good idea since I just wanted something small to make frames/plaques etc and knew a table would be good to have.

I understand the basics, I know how to adjust the depth and settings if I wanted to use it free hand either with it locked or for plunge cuts. What I don't understand is how the heck I'm supposed to use it in the table.

I have it mounted, I have a bit in it, but while it's easy to push down on the springs to adjust the settings when you're up above it it's damn near impossible to push UP on it while it's mounted upside down in the table, and then since I want to make several passes cutting a bit more off each time how the heck do I do that?  I can manage to get it set so the bit is up though the hole in the table and lock it, but if I wanted to then raise or lower it a small amount it's impossible, as soon as I unlock it the spring slams the whole thing back down. Ugh... This was an excellent price for me and seems really nice but not if I can't physically set the darn thing. I was going to go with this Dewalt combo http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWP611PK-Torque-Variable-Compact/dp/B0049ZFUK2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3RFFPCH5D5N3B&coliid=I2675CD0NQ3H7U and add the table from Rockler for it http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30716&filter=trim%20router%20table&utm_source=gan&utm_medium=aff&utm_campaign=feed but the one at Lowes came with more accessories and was $100 less... did I make a mistake? Am I missing something obvious by being a newbie?

Thanks everyone!

alien11

Re: How the heck do I use this... new plunge/table router
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 09:50:20 pm »
Hi Candi_D:

You are not missing anything. Using a plunge router upside down in a router table is a problem. There are a couple of possible solutions:

Remove the spring when using it in the table. I can't tell from the picture whether your router "permits" this, nor how easy it will be. Be very careful when you release the spring, if it gets away from you, it'll fly a considerable distance.

The other alternative you've already identified - exchange the router for a multi-base kit (such as the Dewalt). Permanently mount the fixed base in the table, and move the motor unit back and forth  from the plunge base into the fixed base depending on your need for freehand or table use.

There are other plunge router units available which were designed to be more easily used upside down. They are also designed to be easily height adjusted from above the table. I think all the major router manufacturers have such models available.

Good luck

Candi_D

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 09:53:19 pm »
Yuck, not the response I was hoping for but what I expected. Amazes me that Lowes sells this kit this way, why include a plunge router with the table... such a shame because it does seem like a very nice little router and a very nice little table. They just don't play well together so why they are sold as a kit is beyond me. I saw the Ryobi from HD but it says it's online only and they are all sold out.

If anyone knows of another affordable option like this please let me know, I suppose I could live w/o the plunge ability all together, having an affordable table option is most important to me.

alien11

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 10:05:33 pm »
Sorry to be the purveyor of bad news - please don't shoot the messenger!

The least expensive solution is to figure out if and how to remove the spring. Then you can use what you've already bought. It is less than honest (but not dishonest) for them to sell this combo.

For a lot more info (maybe more than you wanted) on table mounted plunge routers refer to:-

http://www.finewoodworking.com/media/RouterTables.pdf

Candi_D

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 08:35:54 am »
Thanks I'll look it over and see if I can figure out how the heck to remove the springs (I can hardly find any mention of the Blue Hawk router online at all, let alone instructions how to take it apart and there isn't even an expanded photo/list included in the manual) since I like the price and set up. If not I'll be boxing it up to return (I knew I should have taken photos of how they had it squeeze in that box LOL) and figure out something else.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 09:19:34 am »
Candi, widh I had read this earlier! Sears has a fixed base router and table on sale for around $90.00. I paid $130.00 for the same unit 6 months ago. It works fine for small work like frames and plaques. The router has a micro adjustment for up and down settings, you just reach under the table and turn the adjusment. The only thing I don't like is you have to drop the motor out of the base to change bits, but, for the cost it is worth the trouble.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Candi_D

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 09:39:21 am »
Thanks Tony, I swore Sears would never get my business again after the drama with the scroll saw I bought there before getting my Dewalt but I'll keep it in mind. I think the Ryobi would be my best bet if it wasn't out of stock online :(

I just looked over my Blue Hawk and I can't for the life of me figure out how I'd remove the springs. It looks like there is just a tiny metal  piece jammed into a hole that is locking the thing together, no tools seem to do anything  (ie I don't think it's screwed in at all, looks like it was placed and pressure holds it in place) so I don't think I can remove the springs (at least not w/o risking really breaking it.

Candi_D

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 09:46:21 am »
Hmm, from looking at the manual online Tony it looks like the Sears craftsman is identical to my table with the exception that it includes the fixed router and you can adjust the depth from the top. I guess I'm going to try to jam this Lowes thing back in the box and take my chances with Sears again LOL Thanks so much for the info!

Candi, widh I had read this earlier! Sears has a fixed base router and table on sale for around $90.00. I paid $130.00 for the same unit 6 months ago. It works fine for small work like frames and plaques. The router has a micro adjustment for up and down settings, you just reach under the table and turn the adjusment. The only thing I don't like is you have to drop the motor out of the base to change bits, but, for the cost it is worth the trouble.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline slowcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 10:52:35 am »
Go to yard sales,I find them for around $25 all the time.
Pick one up & use it on your table.
JP

S - ee
M - iracles
I - n
L - ife
E - veryday

tdub4ever

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 11:07:10 am »
This router has an height adjustment

Candi_D

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 11:10:37 am »
But it had to be unlocked to adjust the height, right? As soon as I unlocked it it would slam down due to the springs and I wasn't strong enough to easily push it back up.

I ordered the Dewalt 611 combo kit, I'll either pick up the Rockler table for now or build my own :)

This router has an height adjustment

Candi_D

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 11:21:39 am »
just takes me to a generic yahoo page...

tdub4ever

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 11:36:53 am »
I just read the specifications and you're right, it doesn't have an above table height adjustment. I bought a Ryobi router and table from the Depot and it's awesome and it only costs $89

tdub4ever

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 11:39:32 am »
Thats scarry GB, I click on your link and it opens my email account! Where did you get the link?

Candi_D

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 11:42:08 am »
I had that one in and out of my hands about 5x yesterday... I'm still wondering if I should have bought it (on sale at my local HD for $78 I think i was) issue was I really wanted something with variable speed, plus the option of using it handheld as a plunge router which is why the Dewalt 611 won out for me. I don't know enough about routers to know if I can find a off the shelf inexpensive table and drill it to use the 611 in it so it would be similar to this Ryobi set up, that would be ideal since then I could use the fixed base with the little table and then the plunge for handheld use. The Rockler "table" (and I use that term lightly, since it's more a shelf) really doesn't has all the options I'd like.

I just read the specifications and you're right, it doesn't have an above table height adjustment. I bought a Ryobi router and table from the Depot and it's awesome and it only costs $89

SMF

Teknoromi