Author Topic: How Do You Scroll Large Pieces?  (Read 3330 times)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
How Do You Scroll Large Pieces?
« on: December 19, 2012, 06:10:48 pm »
Ok, I have been scrolling since March and have seemed to improve to the point I want to try cutting something larger than 12" x 12"! LOL I tried to cut a cross that is 12" x 18" and could not spin the wood without hitting my big belly so I stood up and then could not see well enough.! use a Ex21 saw so the throat is deep enough, but, how in the world do you still see how to make your turns, etc,? My saw is on a stand and I use a foot switch and I have a light and magnifyer. I am hoping you experienced scrollers can give me some techniques that will help.

Tony,aka,Toneman

rob roy

Re: How Do You Scroll Large Pieces?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 06:36:05 pm »
Hi Tony,would using spiral blades help ??.
Rob Roy.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 06:39:45 pm »
i'm starting a project now thats 13 inches wide by 4 feet long and i'm going to use spiral blades on it.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 06:40:22 pm »
Spiral Blades will solve your problem BUT they come with their own learning curve and some limitations.
YES they cut in all directions so you do not have to spin the wood. Saying they cut in all directions is correct BUT they do not cut equally well in all directions and you will learn the difference as you use them.
NO they are not well suited for straight line cutting since they tend to wander more than flat blades.
NO they do not make SHARP internal corner cuts like a flat blade will but they are essential for portraits.
You MUST keep your tension set as tight as you can get it and you MUST run your saw at almost the maximum speed. This results in you having to be extremely careful that your "Feed Rate" is very SLOOOOOOW! You cannot push the workpiece into the blade....You have to just GUIDE it and let the blade do what it was designed to do.
The thicker the wood the slower you have to feed and you will use more blades because they seem to heat up faster and thus become dull faster.

So if you can handle the limitations then get some FD New Spiral 2/0 blades and practice!

Good Luck!!!

~~~GB~~~

Addendum:
I have come to treat the Spirals not as a blade but a very thin round  RASP!  They sort of just 'chew' the wood away...
This is not unlike the sculptor when asked "How do you sculpt a statue?"
He replied, "I take a piece of rock and just chisel away everything that doesn't look like the statue I want!"
When doing portraits I take a piece of wood and use my little rasp-like device to chew away everything the pattern designer thought should be removed to make a picture!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:46:59 pm by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

grampa sawdust

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 07:41:20 pm »
Tony not sure what to tell you. I have a Ex21 and dewalt 788 I have scrolled a few years and at 6' 4 " and 260 I do have a "little" belly. I have not had a big issue with the tank getting in my way but it does happen. Maybe I am long enough I can back my seat up and use the magnifier and get it done. Spiral blades I have used in places I needed then back to flat in all other areas. I am not good with spirals so use them as little as possible. I have become very adept at moving the wood around to go at it from a direction I do not have to stand or back up too far or drilling a hole on the other side so the longer part is out of my bellies way. Hope that was not too confusing. Graybeard your advise on the spirals was helpful thanks for sharing with Tony and the rest of us.

countryscroller

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 09:14:42 pm »
Suck in......jk. Yeah I would say spiral blades would work fine.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 09:30:19 pm »
Don't listen to them!  You just need a good pair of elbow extenders.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 07:31:01 am »
I have the EX on a stand with the magnifyer also.  I'm short so I still have the same problem with large pieces.  I do use spirals on some pieces but have learned to stand to the side or step back to make the turns.  My belly has been scratched by the corners a time or two.  When you get near the turn, stop and adjust your magnifyer so you are standing out of the way.

ChuckD

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 03:31:35 pm »
I use spirals and I like them as much if not more that stright blades.  However before spirals and I met I would bend the ends of the blades and cut sideways.  That worked more or less with the small blades which I use mostly.  Good Luck :):)

Offline dirob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 03:37:26 pm »
some time ago I read where a scroller was twisting the end of his blades so that he was cutting from the side and could cut as long as he could handle hope this helps.makes lots of sense.
R F R

ChuckD

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 03:39:18 pm »
some time ago I read where a scroller was twisting the end of his blades so that he was cutting from the side and could cut as long as he could handle hope this helps.makes lots of sense.

Hey, that is a great idea.  Wonder where I heard that before.  :):):)

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 06:08:38 pm »

I just read about this today in a book Scroll Saw Handbook by Patrick Spielman, it shows this very thing, twist the end of the blades 90 degrees, this lets you cut from the side for long pieces, said have to try it some blades are not tempered on the ends so it should be able to twist.

ChuckD

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 07:34:29 pm »
Yep, sure sounds like a good idea.  Maybe I should try that????

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 10:32:47 pm »
Yep, sure sounds like a good idea.  Maybe I should try that????
alright for long straight cut but don't think you still be able to turn it that much.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 10:38:08 pm »
Could turn to a certain point but couldn't make a circle cut that long.

SMF

Teknoromi