Author Topic: Spindle Sander  (Read 3322 times)

smitty0312

Spindle Sander
« on: December 17, 2012, 12:51:01 pm »
I have made some $ the last few weeks making holiday gifts from my scroll saw, thinking about popping on a spindle sander, I like the ridgid oscillating belt/spindle sander from HD. Anybody have one of these, or what do you have? It has a very good customer rating, youtube video gives it high marks. I don't have a belt sander, so I get 2 tools in one. I think it will be handy doing some intarsia shaping, ect. Give me your thoughts.

Offline mainberg

• Better than drivers' license pix
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Spindle Sander
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 01:01:47 pm »
If you can, get one with a table you can tilt for angles. Can do more things.
Pat B

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 01:08:39 pm »
I have the Ridgid combo sander and it does a very nice job for sanding various small items. I would recommend it, if you don't want to invest in a larger one that, like Pat said, has a tilting table and a much larger choice of spindles.  

I made an Aux. table for mine to keep the belt function from throwing wood across the room. It can be dangerous if using coarse paper.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 01:12:07 pm by Intarsia92 »
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline lwsjc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 01:20:11 pm »
I hve one also.  Like it.

Larry

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 01:43:32 pm »
Me too!  Love it also! Used it just yesterday and thought "what a nice sander this is!"  (No kidding!)  You won't be unhappy with it if you decide to get one!

Sheila :D
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 06:08:04 pm »
My brother and I did quite a bit of research on spindle sanders and decided that the Ridged sander was the "best bang for the buck". Now we each own one and are both very happy with our choice.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

grampa sawdust

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 07:27:41 pm »
I have "the Boss" from Delta use it but would like anything else. The sandpaper does not stay on the spindle and works up. I tooo would suggest a tilt table for more versatility. I have done work with it but I often want to use a tilt position.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 05:51:35 am »
I've had the ridgid sander for about 8 years and love it.  No problems with it and still going strong.

ChuckD

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 04:41:58 pm »
I have "the Boss" from Delta use it but would like anything else. The sandpaper does not stay on the spindle and works up. I tooo would suggest a tilt table for more versatility. I have done work with it but I often want to use a tilt position.

I have the B.O.S.S. too and have the same problem.  I now use a small piece of  2 sided tape to hold it on and it does seem to work better.  Don't know why you would need a tilting table on this type of machine?

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 08:49:49 pm »
I am on my second one.  The shaft got bent when I moved and I took it in to be fixed they replaced it with a reconditioned one as they used to have a life time warranty and because they didn't have the parts.

Very good service.  I don't know if the warranty is the same anymore.

The only complaint I have is that Home Depot in Canada does not sell the drums except in a package of each type and only one grit.  They are a little hard to find online and then you have to but a bunch to make is worthwhile.

I wouldn't be without it in my shop.

Don

Offline campasano

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 09:05:44 pm »
I bought the Ridgid about 2 years ago and love it, I use it often and I have no complaints.It is a workhorse,I highly recommend it.

Mike
Do your part - go green - save the earth

grampa sawdust

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 07:48:05 pm »
I went to the same thing with the double sided tape but first used to double sided it was murder getting the sleeve off. I did some bowls and felt like it would be easier to sand the angled bowl. maybe not. right now I am doing pretty good with the BOSS .

ToverT

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 08:37:27 pm »
Home Depot has this in stock for $199.00.  I get a 10% military discount (Retired Air Force) plus I have a $45.00 Home Depot gift Card.  Hmmmmm....where did I put the keys to my truck!!!!

Tommy T

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 07:32:16 am »
Go for it Tommy.  You won't regret the buy.

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 03:50:43 pm »
I have one of those Smitty, I love it!

SMF

Teknoromi