Author Topic: Feeding Blades..bottom or top?  (Read 2336 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Feeding Blades..bottom or top?
« on: December 16, 2012, 12:15:28 pm »
OK..I am a bottom feeder! Using my 788 and spiral blades this is a must for me.
Want to waste blades? Try top feeding spiral blades through a project that is a stack of 3 - 1/8" and 1 - 1/4" BBplywood = 5/8" overall thickness.
I also use an Easy-Lift system to keep the upper arm out of the way.
Since I am retired and in NO HURRY this works for me.
After I drill my pilot holes I flip the project face down and take one of the 'el cheapo' sanding sponges from HF and knock off all the little bits and pieces left from drilling.
I drill 20 holes at a time so I get a count of the cuts made and a 'break' from sawing so I get up and move around and give the back and hands something else to do besides sitting and cutting.

It works for me!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Feeding Blades..bottom or top?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 06:21:45 pm »
I'm a top feeder. I had problems finding the holes (no jokes please) when I tried to bottom feed. I thought it would be tough trying to clamp the blade in the lower arm, but I do it by feel and it's pretty routine now. I do the same with the sanding after drilling the holes.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 07:52:07 pm »
GB

As a top feeder on the 788 and having never used a spiral blade, but planning to get some on my next order,  what causes them to break when top fed? After reading you post earlier I went out and tried to how I would bottom feed and I looked like an octopus trying to play a bagpipe!
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 08:22:39 pm »
I have always fed the blade from the bottom but I think it would be far easier to feed from the top as you would not have to bend over to see where the hole is, must give it a go in the new year
Jimbo

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 09:34:56 pm »
Billy...remember that a Spiral Blade has teeth on all sides and they tend to catch on the inside of the hole as you try to feed down through the top. This results in bending or even kinking the blade rendering it useless.
Tiny blade + teeth on all sides + tiny hole + pusing blade thru with the teeth pointing DOWN = Bent Blades!

If you can pull it off then you are a better scroller than I am!

I just finished a project with 218 blade changes...2 1/8" BB + 1 1/4" BB + 1 1/4" Sandeply = 5/8" thickness. As it was I went thru over 3 doz. blades (2/0 FD New Spiral).

Have at it, bro!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Mainewoods

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 09:55:21 pm »
Bottom feeding was the primary reason for me to upgrade early this year.  Bending to see under my  work to feed the blade into the next hole on my Porter Cable saw was playing hell on my already screwed up back.  As for using spirals, I guess I'm drilling slightly larger holes than you are GB!  I use a #65 with the FD NS 2/0.  As long as I get the hole lined up in the right spot, I generally don't have a problem feeding spirals.  Plus, if I feel the blade hanging up a bit as I'm guiding it down through, a little wiggle (of the blade  ::)) usually does the trick on allowing it to slide the rest of the way through.  Once in a great while I'll rush it and kink a blade, but it really doesn't happen very often. 
My2C

Glen

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 06:22:19 am »
I am a bottom feeder. I only drill a few holes at a time, that way if I make a mistake I have not ruined a whole piece of wood unless of course I have almost finished the cutting. Plus I always sand the bottom after I have drill so that the wood moves more smoothly.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 09:42:50 am »
Depending on the project, I will use either method, however, I find frequently when I feed from the top that I develop "hockey stick" blades.  Those are impossible to feed from the top and since the blade is still in good condition, I set it in the bottom and reverse feeding direction.

Suggestions accepted for preventing the hockey stick blades.

GB - ain't retired life great?  Who cares about the time.....
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 10:59:02 am »
Hey Al!
Time...hell half the time I don't even remember what Day it is!
After attempting my first 'craft show' and selling only enough to cover the booth rental I made another resolution! I decided... I retired twice and why was I trying to start another 'career'!

~~~GB~~~

SMF

Teknoromi