Author Topic: A discovery I've Made...  (Read 2825 times)

bubbaloo158

A discovery I've Made...
« on: December 15, 2012, 06:06:39 pm »
I am certainly in no way certified to be offering "tips" to anyone here seeing as I've only been scrolling for a few months. This is just something I discovered all on my own yesterday.

I am a "bottom feeder" meaning that I thread my blade through the underside of the piece I'm working on.  There is no way in a million years that I can clamp the blade under the table without seeing what I'm doing.

That being said, I do find it challenging at times to try to thread the the blade through the tiny holes.  It can also be difficult to remember what hole I'm even trying to put it in once I'm bent over looking over and trying to see what I'm doing.  Well... here's what I've come across that makes this a whole lot easier for me to carry out this sometimes time consuming task.

I have a little 7 volt cordless drill that I never use because of it's lack in size.  (it was given to me)  I took one of those bits that you use to counter-sink a screw.  It is a very small one.  I put it into the hole I'm going to use and give it a very light push.  I'm left with a little "dimple" that makes the hole I'm looking for very plain to see when you're looking for it upside down and it also creates a kind of funnel that makes putting the blade through the hole so much easier for me.  It also cleans up any tearing that might occur from when you first drill the holes. The great thing is that it only takes a second to do this and so in my case it is actually saving me time when I consider how long it takes me to get the blade into some holes sometimes.  Works for me!  :)

Like I said... this isn't a newb offering old hand scrollers tips.  It's just something that I have stumbled on, on my own and thought I would share.

Bobby

countryscroller

Re: A discovery I've Made...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 06:13:06 pm »
That's a good idea. I am also a bottom feeder, but don't usually have much trouble. Good thinking though.

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 09:16:11 pm »
I'm also a bottom feeder. If I'm doing a bunch of smaller holes, after drilling, I flip it over, sand, and then use a pointed awl to push all the holes in a little. If the holes are really tiny, I sharpen a point on the end of the blade, makes for easy entry. I also have a dedicated small LED light that shines accross the scroll saw table from the side, so I can see whats going on under there.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 10:40:59 pm »
When you do that, don't you have them little dimples on the back of what ever you cut out?  Or do you drill in the middle of the cut out?  I also bottem feed, but after I drill my pilot holes I scrape the back with a putty knife to get rid of all the trash that comes with drilling, then I sand the back where I drilled and then blow them off with my airgun.  The hole show up just like a picture, you can't miss them when you insert the blade from the bottom.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 11:02:37 pm »
I have done both top and bottom feeding.  with the Dewalt top feeding is natural to me and I can not fathom feeding from the bottom. When I used the Porter Cable I fed from the bottom. Whatever way you find that makes it easier for you is the way to go. It took me a while to learn to feed with the Dewalt and get the blade in the clamp and tighten it. But after a while no matter what saw you are using, you will develop "eyes" in you fingers and feeding will become second nature.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 06:59:28 am »
bottom feeder also, I like the idea.
I cover my work withpainter tapee before drilling so can't really sand of the bumps from drilling.
sounds like a little more work but gonna try your idea.
thanks.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 06:12:25 am »
I have always been a bottom feeder. Once I''ve drilled the holes I sand off the back and I always have an old blade handy to put through the hole I want the cutting blade to go through.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline beginner

• Maker of custom fire wood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 09:34:16 am »
I am also a bottom feeder.  I save my used saw blades and use them to help clean out the hole.  Works for me
Jim

bubbaloo158

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 07:48:43 pm »
As for my countersink bit idea...

For sure there's times when you shouldn't use it because of the cut being very small.  But in general I do use it with great results.  I have my workbench right beside me and so it is just a quick reach for me to get the drill.

As for the dimple... I certainly don't push hard when I'm drilling it.  In fact, I barely touch the wood, just enough to clean out the hole and leave a little indent to make threading the blade through the hole a lot easier for me.  I find that doing it this way eliminates the need to sand the holes after drilling them.

On another note, I've gotten into the habit of just drilling a few holes before starting to cut.  This makes sure that I get up and stretch more often instead of sitting for hours getting sore.  I think it also keeps me from making mistakes.  My eyes can start doing funny things when I'm cutting for too long a time.  I think someone else mentioned that they do this but I can't remember where I read it.  Works for me!!!  :)

Bobby

SMF

Teknoromi