Author Topic: stack cutting gone bad  (Read 2309 times)

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
stack cutting gone bad
« on: December 13, 2012, 09:55:41 pm »
I tried my hand at my first stack cutting project. I was making 5 snow flakes. Well this project was going so wonderful. I had all the internal cuts done and looking good. I was about halfway done cutting the outer shape and the wood slipped coming unaligned. It ruined the whole project. An hour of cutting wasted. I was so sad with this. I guess I should have stopped cutting and re-taped the area I had already cut.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Re: stack cutting gone bad
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 10:16:01 pm »
So sorry this happened! It has happened to me and probably to all scrollers. I use blue painters tape and as I start cutting the outside, I tape the completed areas together as I go. I am sure there are other ways to do this, but this seems to work for me. Also. I make sure I have drilled a starter hole to begin the ouside cut.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline rrjwright

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 10:29:33 pm »
I learned a trick reading the forum.    I hot glue the edges of my stacks...   Drill a access hole near my pattern as you would a inside cut.   This seems to give a little extra support as you cut.   The stacks act as one solid piece while cutting.  When all  done they fall out like a deck of cards.

Jim. . .
Scroll'n... Scroll'n.... Scroll'n
Keep that Sawdust Flow'n

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 11:10:45 pm »
I use double stick tape the wide kind, an I really have no problems at all.  I cut up to four high this way.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline troy_curtis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 11:57:17 pm »
I think the starter hole idea would help. I have never done a stack cut so didnt think about it. Also if I had taped the cut areas it would have worked ok. the only good thing is the top piece cut fine, so I did get one of the five.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 12:36:38 am »
I learned a trick reading the forum.    I hot glue the edges of my stacks...   Drill a access hole near my pattern as you would a inside cut.   This seems to give a little extra support as you cut.   The stacks act as one solid piece while cutting.  When all  done they fall out like a deck of cards.

Jim. . .
That is exactly what I do. Also while cutting the outside line, I keep a finger on the project to keep it from shifting.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 12:38:46 am by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 01:20:26 am »
When I stack cut now I use an air staple gun or tack in small brads to hold the pieces together, I used to tape also tried double sided tape but I found the boards did move
Jimbo

Dave W

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 03:00:56 am »
I use a dab of tacky glue in the (larger) waste areas, then tape the top with just enough to wrap around the lip of the bottomost piece.  This seems to hold things well enough for stack cuts.  I like to temporarily place  the pattern on the back of the the pieces that I am glueing so I know just where to apply it, then put it back on the top.  Tonight I cut two stacks of three-snowflakes 1/4"-deep for my neighbor with no issues.  Just be sure to mark your top piece so you don't forget where the glue is :)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 03:03:32 am by Dave W »

Offline troy_curtis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 06:10:48 pm »

[/quote]
That is exactly what I do. Also while cutting the outside line, I keep a finger on the project to keep it from shifting.
[/quote]

The problem is I was making a rather large snowflake...kind of hard to keep the finger on the project when it has so many in's and out's. I think if I had stopped to retape each arm of the flake it would have helped. I will be trying this project again tonight or tomorrow.

ChuckD

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 09:22:16 pm »
I can understand your problem.  I used to have the same thing even when I used brads and still it could shift.  Since I started using toothpicks (round) and a lot of them, I don't have any problem at all with shifting or the stacks moving and almost every thing I do is stacked.  Good Luck :):)

countryscroller

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 09:26:16 pm »
I have tried using spray adhesive, but when you take them apart it just leaves an annoying gummy glue on it.

SMF

Teknoromi