Author Topic: Need some advice  (Read 1229 times)

Offline arkiewood

• View Profile
Need some advice
« on: December 13, 2012, 06:50:43 pm »
I am trying to build picture frames for my projects. I bought the Bessy strap clamp today and it doesn't work worth a hoot for me. I would appreciate input on what kind you use and how you like them.
Thanks
Let's make some saw dust!

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: Need some advice
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:51:56 pm »
I find you don't need a ton of pressure for these jobs.  After all the bond from glue in a miter is poor at best.  You can just use painter's tape as a clamp, but it is best to reinforce the joint some other way and not rely just on a glued miter.  Depends on the size of the wood involved.  Big enough...put a biscuit or spline in the joint.  Or use the suggestions from your other message.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Need some advice
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 10:56:01 am »
I have a Bessey strap clamp and don't have much trouble with it. In fact, I just used it on a box last week. Note, I said "box"?! I don't think it would work too well on a picture frame unless the frame was at least 1-1/2" thick. For picture frames I usually use the metal corner clamps or a special frame jig that I've built. Some times if you can clamp one side down to the edge of a corner of your bench and another side along the other edge you can use a square to true it up while the glue dries. (put wax paper on the bench so you don't glue the frame to it) If you build the frame two corners at a time (opposite corners) then do the final two corners at the same time to form the rectangle to finish it up. Another thing to take into consideration is the size of the frame (8" x 10" or 24" x 30")
They do make special picture frame clamps that are used in professional frame shops but, they are fairly expensive for most of us hobbyist. That doesn't mean that you couldn't look at a few pictures of the pro clamps and copy the idea and build a wooden one!  ;)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

SMF

Teknoromi