Author Topic: Good Information on aplying patterns to wood...From Sheila Landry  (Read 3045 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Sheila's blog entry this morning is very informative regarding the "printed pattern to wood' problem many of us have discussed here.....

http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com/blog/post/3508328#.UMh7pqrxBxo.facebook

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Good Information on aplying patterns to wood...From Sheila Landry
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 04:06:40 pm »
The last can of Supper 77 I purchased was about $12 in Southern California at Big Orange.
The labels just seem to expensive to me.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 05:50:58 pm »
Many times I just want one pattern and I agree that labels would be far to costly. I also use Super 77 and the last can I bought at Walmart was $9.99.  I tried the elmers a good while back and both times the can clogged at about half.  I tried the new nozzle on the first can but it still would not spray. After paying for 2 cans and getting to use 1, that also was too costly
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 06:28:55 pm »
Hey Billy, I keep my nozzles soaking in a small jar filled with mineral spirits. It keeps them nice and clean.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Billy in Va

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 10:50:27 pm »
I too keep a jar of the m in MS but these two cans  the nozzle was not the problem. Brand new can removed the nozzle  and it would not work on the half used can but worked fine on the new can at least until it was half gone  :( :( :(

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 11:11:32 pm »
I cheat on the cost of the labels.  I take the empty ink cartridges from my office to Staples and recycle them for the rewards credit they give you.  There is no way to recycle them to benefit the office, because the source I am required to order from doesn't accept them.  Then by the time I need a box of labels I have most of the cost covered.  It's all above board and approved.  I get $2 per cartridge.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

ChuckD

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 04:57:58 pm »
I use any old cheap spray glue.  Spray the pattern heavy and THEN put it on the project.  Of course I don't put it on the wood, I put it on the masking tape around the wood, which include a top piece of throw-away material such a luan, door skins, even poster board works good.  Cut it out peel the top off and there you go.  If the pattern starts to rise up or the wood starts to burn put a layer of clear tape over it.  Good Luck  :):)

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 05:31:53 pm »
i use the self stick labels for portraits and other things that have alot of detail in the cutting and spray glue for simpler thing like name cut outs. the only spray i can get right now in town is the Elmer brand which i don't find stick that good.i did a name plate today and about half way through it it started to left up. 

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 05:56:43 pm »
I use stick glue from the $$ store it's cheap but the pattern stick, I put clear packing tape over the pattern, removing the tape takes most of the pattern off,any pattern left on the wood I sand off
Jimbo

Offline cskipper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 08:11:35 am »
I've been using labels for awhile.  Sometimes I think it's expensive, but the result is always good.  There are a lot of patterns which can use 1/2 sheet labels too and saves money.  I order them on the internet, usually from an office supply store, because I get better prices and can get larger quantities.
Cathy
Cathy Skipper
When in doubt, just do the next right thing.

Offline Billy in Va

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 09:16:17 am »
It is always good to  see different way of doing the same thing. I know I have a tendency to  use the  "if it ain't broke don't fix it " approach to many things.  After reading Shelia's post I will  give labels a try at some point. I also have not tried the hot glue but intend to.  ( I just keep forgetting -  I blame that on birthdays).  You never know when you are going to say " Why haven't I been doing it this way all along"

SMF

Teknoromi