Author Topic: Is This a First???  (Read 1944 times)

bubbaloo158

Is This a First???
« on: December 09, 2012, 12:52:25 am »
Hi all...

While working on a project this afternoon I started noticing that the blade was beginning to feel  loose on my DW788 when I would give it tension.  It finally got to the point where it wouldn't tighten up at all, even at the maximum tension setting, and I mean not at all.  I was baffled and really didn't know what to do.  And so, acting on a whim, I disconnected the "Easy-lift" system.  Lo and behold, the problem was solved although I don't know why.  I've had the Easy-lift on my saw for quite a long time and never had any problems with it before today.  I'm wondering why this would suddenly happen now?

I have to say that with having the Easy-lift system removed from the saw, the blade really gets a lot tighter.  I would have to adjust it to the max in order to have it tight enough to cut with the Easy-lift.  Now, I can feel the resistance when I get up to around 4.  4 1/2 works fine and I really don't have to go over 5 now.

My big thing right now is trying to remember that I'm back to using a block of wood again - which really isn't such a pain when I look at it

realistically.  That being said, I had to get off my seat quite a few times to pick up the block off the floor.  But I do know that the block actually holds the arm higher and more solid than the Easy-lift.  My gut feeling is that the block of wood will prevail from here on in.

But I'm just interested in knowing if this has ever happened to anyone else who uses the Easy-lift attachment for the DW788 and how did you fix it?

Bobby

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Re: Is This a First???
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 10:47:31 am »
Bubbaloo, I have the Delta 40-690 clone of the 788 with the Easy-lift.  So far I haven't noticed your problem.  I top feed so when I put the blade in the bottom clamp, I push down on the top blade holder until it goes down as far as it will go.  Then I reach under the table and push up on the bottom clamp while tightening the clamp screw.

I do tighten to 4.5 or higher but so far so good.  I'll try to remember your post if I start having tension problems.

Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

old wormy

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 10:50:11 am »
Bobby, I have used the lift with my DW788 for a long time with no problems. The lift might be exerting just enough pressure to cause the blade to slip in the clamps. Don't forget to sand the ends of each blade before you put it into the clamps. This removes the factory film and prevents it from slipping in the clamps. If that doesn't help, then you need to remove the clamp screws and sand the ends to remove the glaze that sometimes causes the blade to slip. I sometimes insert an emory board into the blade slot, tighten the clamp slightly and move the emory board up and down to remove the glaze on the screws without actually removing the screws.

countryscroller

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 10:51:56 am »
I have had that problem. I noticed I just didn't pull the blade up to the blade holder to make it somewhat tight already, instead I just put it in the blade holder and thus having some slack on the blade and it took more turns on the tension knob to get it tight. If you can understand what I just said it should fix the problem.

bubbaloo158

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 11:56:41 am »
Thanks for the comebacks y'all.  Much appreciated.

I just find it strange that the problem is only there with the Easy-Lift installed.  Without roughing up the clamps, everything is fine without it... no blade slippage.  But with the Easy-Lift, nothing.  The blade doesn't move whatsoever when I tension it.  I've tried everything... pulling up the blade as tight as I can by hand before putting it in the top clamp, for example.  Or moving the arm up or down.  Or giving my on/off pedal a quick tap.  As I said, without the Easy-Lift I don't have to tighten it up more than 3 - 3 1/2.  Even when the Easy-Lift was working I had to put it on 5 - 5 1/2 minimum.  Just strange how this problem started right out of the blue.

Someone on another forum gave me a great tip if I want to go back to using the block of wood method... super glue a small magnet on my block of wood so that it never has to leave the table.

Thanks again
Bobby

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 12:47:53 pm »
Bobby, another thought.  Is the Easy Lift spring set for too much tension?  I have it set to the minimum, just enough to hold the arm up.  It's set so I have to lift the arm, the Easy Lift just keeps it in place.

If you go for the wood block, you could put a hinge on the block and attach the other end of the hinge to the upper arm of the 788 using glue, magnets, or tie wrap.  If you use glue, don't glue it to the removable (left) side of the arm.  ;D     A magnet attached to the block of wood will hold it up against the arm while you are cutting.

Good luck,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

ToverT

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 03:43:38 pm »
Bobby,

I too have had that problem with blade tensioning and the Easy Lift System.  Shortly after I got my 788 I ordered the easy lift system and installed it.  From that moment on, I could never get the tension correct, even after i Uninstalled the easy lift.  I sent the saw back to CPO Outlet and they sent me a brand new DW788, no questions asked.

I did not install the easy lift on the new saw and it works perfectly.  I did, however give the bolt on the arm a slight slight turn and now the arm stays up while I bottom feed.  That procedure is not without some controversy.  Others have reported that DeWalt tech say it is OK to do that and other tech say not to.  I was such a slight turn of the bolt I can't imagine it would hurt anything so I'm fine with it.

Happy Scrooling!

Tommy T

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 06:58:25 pm »
You might create several blocks to hold the arm.  Then you don't have to get up until all of them are on the floor. :)

bubbaloo158

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 05:40:38 pm »
Actually, I took someone's idea  of using a magnet.  I took a 4x4 inch piece of 1/2 inch plywood and glued 2 small magnets into one of it's flat sides.  As I am letting the arm down I just "stick" it to the underside of the arm.  It doesn't get in the way when I'm cutting as it is up above the table.  I'm really not finding it much of a distraction as it has become second nature to do this once I did it a few times. And, as I think I said before... the arm goes up much higher with the block than it did with the Easy-Lift.  Works for me.

Bobby

SMF

Teknoromi