Author Topic: Dewalt 788 arrived, missing material hold down... opinions please  (Read 4887 times)

Candi_D

My saw just arrived today, I opened the box and saw that all I needed to do was install the table however my saw has two things different. 1) the material hold-down isn't on the saw and 2) there is a black metal piece extending up in front of the bottom blade holder that isn't referenced in the manual.

I called Dewalt and they said they would UPS me the holddown to install (is this easy? Do I even want/need it... I see most videos and no one has one installed). Does anyone know what the metal piece is for, an extra support for the table? Should I keep it or should I request an exchange from Amazon? (not that I'm even sure I could get it back into the box correctly).

It's so been one of those days today ::sighs::

Here are photos so you can see, does anything else look wrong?

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 02:45:25 pm by Candi_D »

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: Dewalt 788 arrived, missing material hold down... opinions please
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 02:51:15 pm »
As to the hold down, everyone I know takes them off.  They just get in the way.  You will learn to hold the wood firmly with your finger (it doesn't take too much pressure) so you really don't need it.

I don't use a dewalt, but maybe the purpose of the extra piece will become apparent when you are mounting the table.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 03:00:30 pm »
I have the Dewalt 40-790 which is the same as the DW788 except for the paint and decals.  I use the hold down, not to keep the wood on the table, but to support a hose to suck up dust.  If I didn't use it to support the hose, I would remove it.

The other piece is a guard designed to keep you from getting your fingers smacked if you reach under the table while the saw is running.  You can keep it or remove it - it's your choice.  For what it's worth, I removed it.

Enjoy your new saw.
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Candi_D

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 03:02:23 pm »
Awesome, thank you! I also see that the top support just clamps to the side so if I opt to use it when it arrives easy peasy to put it on.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 03:11:06 pm »
Hey Candi, See my reply to your post in the coffee shop.
Dan In Southern California

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 03:16:15 pm »
I never used either, Candi.  I think they just get in the way and may cause more accidents than prevent. Just my thoughts. :)

Enjoy! :D

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Candi_D

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 03:18:00 pm »
I'll go check in a min ;)

Another question (sorry I'm probably driving you guys nuts, wait till I actually start cutting LOL)

but what is this thing inside the bag with the blades?

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 03:45:12 pm »
I believe that little piece of metal is for getting the Fuse Holder out.
Small screwdriver works just as well.

As to the other items..don't bother! As Sheila said they just get in the way!

NOW get that table on and get busy!!!!!! <bg>

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Candi_D

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 04:10:54 pm »
I tossed the saw on the kitchen island (there are bonuses to being the woman of the house, I'm not going to get mad at myself for making some sawdust in the kitchen LOL) just so I could do a quick test cut, I'm not even sure what size blade comes with the Dewalt & my FD haven't arrived yet but I just cut a little corner off a piece of poplar I bought today and a scrap of aspen I had... WOW. I'm going to love this thing! Someone come watch my kids for a few hours ok? LOL

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 04:16:55 pm »
Like a kid in a toy store!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 04:26:04 pm »
Candi, I think you might need someone to watch the kids for more than a few hours lol. 
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 08:34:08 pm »
Candi...from what I hear you have bought the best for the money there is, now how do I talk my wife into me getting one??? :'(  ...   But Honey, Candi just bought one and look how nice it is, look thru the patterns, I'll make you anything you want...   think that will work? :-\
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Becky

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 09:10:18 pm »
Oustanding!  When I got mine, it didn't have the hold down either.  They sent it to me but by the time it arrived, I had enough practice holding down the wood that I didn't want it.  I put it someplace, lol.  If they haven't changed it, it just slides in on a bar and you have a thumbscrew to tighten it in place.  But don't worry, I bet you won't care any more than I did.

You're going to have so much fun!   ;D

Candi_D

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 10:50:27 pm »
It would for me LOL I only wish my husband had an interest in making ANYTHING (even dinner LOL) I'd love if he was willing to make little gifts/designs for me. I'm not a jewelry lover myself but if your wife is maybe you could show her all the little jewelry boxes you could make and hint that you'd have to get her something to fill them? <wink>

I'm in power tool heaven right now. I decided that I could get over my fear of the miter saw I bought a couple of weeks ago too, so I got it all set up and cut some 2x4's WOOHOO what a rush, I love my paper crafting but even glitter doesn't give you a rush like using a big saw to cut 2x4's like butter LOL I think my husband thinks I'm nuts, I think he is for not wanting to play with the tools too (not that I'd let him play with mine, he'd have to get his own). I'm going to hopefully get my work bench built tomorrow and pick up some of the wax as recommended for my scroll top and get started (everyone who is used to my fancy homemade holiday cards might have to deal with boxed ones this year)

Candi...from what I hear you have bought the best for the money there is, now how do I talk my wife into me getting one??? :'(  ...   But Honey, Candi just bought one and look how nice it is, look thru the patterns, I'll make you anything you want...   think that will work? :-\

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 07:17:17 am »
Boxed Cards???  Why not wooden ones?  Give it a try.  I send the most special people home made wooden cards.

SMF

Teknoromi