Author Topic: My crazy day...  (Read 4524 times)

Candi_D

My crazy day...
« on: December 07, 2012, 01:14:54 pm »
I have to share this with someone. I still can't believe the day I'm having.

Probably no way to make this long story short but I'll do my best ;)

I purchased a Craftsman scroll saw on Sears.com a few days ago, then before ever opening it I decided to start with a Dewalt from Amazon instead.

So I get the fairly large heavy box loaded into my car today, along with my 2 young daughters, and head out in the rain to the nearest Sears.

I get the box inside and after a few mins of fumbling with the kiosk realize I have to talk to someone. A guy comes out, tells me that I'll need to go to the register for an internet return and takes my package... I think "hmm shouldn't he have given me something, maybe they call to confirm" so I go to the return desk (in the tool section mind you) and am told "you should have gotten a slip" so the nice enough but clearly seasonal employee wanders over and gets the info he needs from the man who took my box. Fifteen mins later, kids are fussy... the seasonal employee still can't process my return... he's called Sears 800# 2 times and can't even seem to hear them over the phone and has hung up both times. He asks two other employees who are working with him, still nothing. He says he can give me a gift card, um... no I paid $100 on my visa and I want a refund on it. I say I want a manager, he says "let me try something else" fumbles for another 5 mins. We're past 1/2 an hour now and my 2yr old has about had it. Finally someone else comes over. He tries on 2 registers and nothing, then says he has to take my card & ID to a back room to use a different computer... not happy about this but wanting to leave I say fine. 10 mins later he's back. No dice. I wasn't issued a return code when I bought it online. He calls the 800# again... 10 mins later and I'm told I have to take the saw back home, that UPS will come pick it up and then a refund will be processed. I spend at least an hour and walk back out into the rain with the saw.

Then I go to Home Depot since I need some wood to make my tool bench.
me to very nice but clearly stupid gentleman #1: "I'd like a piece of plywood, I'll need it cut to 2 1/2' x 4 1/2' "
He spends a long time finding me the nicest piece, I'm happy.
We walk over to gentleman #2, quiet and all business just how I like people who are helping me since I'd rather not chit chat with them...
Guy #1 says "what size again?"
me: "2 1/2 feet x 4 1/2 feet"
guy #2 nods and starts getting my plywood ready to cut.
Guy #2 "that was 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 right?"
me: "yes thank you"
guy #1 now looking worried "did you want two and a half feet or two feet six inches?"
I look at him confused... ok I'm not a woodworking pro or anything but last time I checked 6" was 1/2 a foot no matter what you're talking about so I say to him... "um... 2 1/2 feet IS 2ft 6in"
he says "no they are different"
I continue to look at him like he's crazy and say "how?"
he brings over a tape measure and shows me 2'6" and then points to 2' and 1/2 an inch. "See that's 2 1/2 feet and that is 2'6" "
I look at him like I don't even know what to say... I want to scream "no you idiot two and a half feet IS two feet six inches and 2' 1/2" is called two feet and half an inch. Instead I decide that I might blow if I say anything so I just say "2'6" please"
(guy cutting wood had already finished, cutting it to 2 1/2' x 4 1/2' while this conversation was going on... at least he wasn't an idiot.)

And that my friends, anyone who actually read all this... is why I'm about to have a cup of coffee which consists of far more Kahlua then coffee.

Good news is when I got home my Dewalt was waiting for me on the porch (I <3 you Amazon for your fast shipping). So I'm off to have that coffee now and then tonight will unbox my new saw :D  I will also only buy online now for wood & tools.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: My crazy day...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 01:20:07 pm »
LOL, Candi!  I have to laugh when reading it.  Just think - he has to find his way home after work.  You think he will be able?   

Merry Christmas to you and enjoy your saw.

Remember - "Measure twice and cut once."  Two and a half feet isn't always 2.5 feet!

Sheila ;)
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 01:31:28 pm »
Shelia  Aren;t you glad you do not have to be on the same road while he is trying to get home?
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 01:33:54 pm »
Duh!  When I went to school (in the olden days) they taught math, guess they don't anymore.  I think I would be needing two cups of Kahlua, forget the coffee!  Enjoy your new DeWalt.
ChelCass

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 02:07:58 pm »
Relax with a double dose of Kahlua, then enjoy the pleasure of unpacking your new saw.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 02:11:24 pm »
LOL.like the saying "you just can't fix STUPID" :D

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 02:46:41 pm »
I wonder if that fellow ever tried to build anything from a set of plans.

Enjoy your new saw, and prepare to become addicted.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 03:06:44 pm »
OK Candi, now that you have calmed down, It's time to get that saw out of the box! Before you mount the cast iron table to the saw, sand it down with some 220 grit sandpaper and a little bit of WD40 as a lubricant. Sand it until it is nice and smooth. Wipe it down with mineral spirits to clean off the dust and WD40. Apply a coat of past wax, then buff it down. Make sure you don't use a wax that contains silicone like car wax because it will interfere with some finishes. Most folks use Johnson's past wax.
Before you tighten the screws that mount the table, go ahead and mount a blade. You want to center the hole in the table with the blade, then tighten the screws.
There is a guard in front of the lower blade clamp. If you have the right bit, remove this guard as it just gets in the way when changing blades. One last thing, do not mount the hold down. This is a useless piece of junk. It will just get in your way when changing blades and when scrolling.
Now, Get to cutting, and report back here with all your questions!
Dan In Southern California

Candi_D

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 03:22:49 pm »
Glad you all enjoyed my day so far LOL I knew some of you could probably relate :)

dgman, thank you for all the tips... I really really appreciate it. I'll get the guard that is there off and buy some of the wax this weekend!

I'm so excited! Of course right now it's sitting in the middle of my living room floor... I suppose I first better test out my new miter saw and get my work table built so I can organize everything.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 03:46:49 pm »
Better you than me.  I would have had to punch the guy in the head.  And I don't think I can take my computer to jail with me.  Have fun with that big Yellow Machine.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 04:00:57 pm »
Thank You, New Scroller Candi!

I know it wasn't a fun trip but you gave me a much needed belly laugh.
I wish I had been there with you to play "Grampa" and keep the kids occupied.
But I would have likely caused a scene in Sears! I hate that place!!!!!!

New miter saw and scroll saw! Santa must have gotten an early start.

HUGZZZZZZZZZZZ

~~~GB~~~

I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline slowcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 05:21:44 pm »
I'm with Graybeard on that one.
 If your thinking Sears go to Harbor Freight
Same quality less money
Just my say
JP
JP

S - ee
M - iracles
I - n
L - ife
E - veryday

Becky

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 09:21:38 pm »
Hey Candi, if you can stand another tip, renew that Johnson's paste wax about once a month.  It will keep your table smooth (as well as protected) and your wood will slide easily.  I had been scrolling for several months before reading the wax tip here.  I gave it a try and my "skill" immediately improved by an order of magnitude!  That tip is definitely on my top 10 list.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 12:50:30 am »
I may have kept my cool in Sears but I would definately lost it with the idiot that does not know his measurements.  Just think some poor lady as to own up to being his mother. Lol
Enjoy your Dewalt like I know you will and you will become addicted in no time just like the rest of us.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

rob roy

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 06:26:38 am »
Hi Candi, Don't be too hard on that boy in the Home Depot store. The reason for this is: His mother was a simple woman, his father was a simple man and as a result you were dealing with a SIMPLETON!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o.
Rob Roy.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 06:32:38 am by rob roy »

SMF

Teknoromi