Author Topic: from paper to wood, new to scrolling from MI  (Read 3217 times)

Candi_D

from paper to wood, new to scrolling from MI
« on: December 05, 2012, 12:17:13 pm »
Hi Everyone!

I'm Candi, a stay at home / homeschooling mom to two little girls who lives in Michigan. I've always enjoyed creating, fixing things, figuring things out. Thanks to google and the desire to never pay someone to do something I can do myself I've learned many things (I can replace a sink, faucet, & disposal now with my eyes closed... replaced the belt on my dryer at 9 months pregnant, etc). Any tools (power or otherwise) in our house belong to me as my husband has no interest in even changing a lightbulb let alone more LOL

My creative outlet for some time has been paper crafting, mostly using a digital cutting machine. However I wanted more (and some decorations that wouldn't get squished in storage like paper does <wink>) so recently I've decided to learn to do some woodworking, I'd like to build frames, basic furniture, shelves etc. I bought a miter saw and I might actually get the courage to plug it in and use it this week. Same with my jigsaw (my first project is going to be one of the 2x4 basics work benches). This sounds interesting to me but really wasn't what I was looking for, then I discovered scroll sawing (as in this week) and immediately knew it was what I was looking for. Instead of a machine cutting designs out of paper I could utilize the scroll saw and cut things out of wood myself. I can't wait to make home decor items for myself and as gifts and especially to make items for my daughters.

I'd love to start with a Dewalt or similar but figured it was safer to spend less until I see how I like the hobby. I have a Craftsman scroll saw arriving today and ordered my Flying Dutchman blades this morning. If I like the hobby as much as I suspect I will I can look to upgrade after tax returns and then donate the Craftsman to a school etc.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here and I'm sure I'll have 101 questions as I make the jump from paper to wood :)

Candi

countryscroller

Re: from paper to wood, new to scrolling from MI
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 12:31:26 pm »
Welcome Candi! I'm Dustin from Ohio.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 01:37:59 pm »
Hey Candi, Welcome to the forum! I'm Dan From Southern California. You have found the right place as there are folks here from all over the world willing to help out. Feel free to ask questions. Remember, the only dumb question is the question not asked! So come on in and join the fun!
Dan In Southern California

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 02:10:03 pm »
Welcome to the forum Candi.i'm Todd from NL Canada

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 02:17:35 pm »
Candi  Welcome to the forum Yes you will have questions and Yes you will get answers  Glad you found us.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 04:00:10 pm »
Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum Candi. Hi I'm Russ from Florida, I am glad you found us. A day without saw dust is like a day without sunshine.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Candi_D

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 04:04:19 pm »
Saw just arrived, while I wish it was a nicer one I'm still pretty excited... can't wait to pick up some proper wood and for my FD blades to arrive!

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 05:22:31 pm »
Wecome Candi !!  I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 06:13:30 pm »
Welcome to the forum Candi, I'm Keith from Cornwall U.K.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

rob roy

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 06:35:35 pm »
Hi Candi, I'm Roy from Scotland,welcome to the forum. You couldn't have come to a better place. All the information and encouragement you could want. Come in and join in the fun.
Rob Roy.

SheGold

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 06:46:16 pm »
Hello Candi, I'm Sheila from Texas.. I'm sure you will be hooked the first time you use your saw. I was. Welcome to the group and happy scrolling.... Sheila

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 07:58:10 pm »
Hi Candi, welcome to the group. There's nothing wrong with a Craftsman saw, many of us including me, use one, or have used one in the past. Ask anything please.
Pete from Minnesota.
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

daliclimbs

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 08:24:15 pm »
Hello! I'm Scott from West Virginia! Welcome aboard...

Candi_D

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 09:11:35 pm »
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome, loving it here already!

So here's the million dollar (or maybe closer to $450 LOL) question. My Craftsman arrived today but I can't bring myself to opening the box, I keep flashing back to all the posts I've read saying to buy the best you can afford even when starting off, and that the lowest people would recommend is the Dewalt 788. It's quite a bit more money then my $100 Craftsman but not out of my limit (I sold my Cricut, a paper cutting machine, a couple weeks ago for a very nice amount). From what I've seen I think I'll really like scrolling, I know I'll want to do patterns where I'll have lots of interior cuts and will need to be unhooking the blade to thread through holes... I just watched a video on doing that with the Dewalt and then one with the Craftsman... wow, what a difference in speed and ease.

What would you do? Would you get started with the Dewalt and hope you like the hobby or "play it safe" and stick with starting with the Craftsman? Ugh I just don't know what to do.

Thanks for your honest opinions!

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 09:28:34 pm »
Hello and welcome Candi. 

Congratulations on homeschooling your two children.  My wife still homeschools our two children (12th and 10th grade - Switched on
Schoolhouse) and still finds time to get on the saw every so often.

Good for you on reconsidering.  I'd say if you can afford it - do it.  You'll appreciate it now - and later!

Karl

SMF

Teknoromi