Author Topic: from paper to wood, new to scrolling from MI  (Read 3218 times)

Candi_D

Re: from paper to wood, new to scrolling from MI
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 09:31:19 pm »
Thank you Karl, I think I'm going to do it. Also congrats to you and your wife on homeschooling also, my girls are only 2 1/2 & 8 1/2 so I still have a long fun path ahead of us... I suppose the 2yr old is too young for a wood working lesson <grin>

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 10:31:33 pm »
Hey Candi, If you are thinking of reconsidering your saw choice, I definitely would go with the DeWalt. When I got my first scroll saw some eighteen years ago I hated it. It was an entry level saw. It vibrated badly, and the blades were hard to change and move from hole to hole. So if you can afford it, go with the DeWalt or the Delta 40-695. It will be one less obstacle in your learning curve.
Dan In Southern California

SheGold

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 02:16:27 am »
Candi I started with a craftsman and its still running, that was back in the 90's.. I now have a Porter Cable and love it. The point I'm making here is, if you like scrolling you can always upgrade. I would love to have a dewalt but at this time what I use is great. You can see some of my work in the picture gallery. I'm not perfect but you can see that you can make lovely things with a cheaper saw as well as a high dollar saw. Its all in the learning.. Good luck on your choice and happy scrolling... Sheila aka SheGold

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 06:21:21 am »
Hi Candi welcome to the forum. I'm Marg  from Australia. I have a DeWalt  and I love it, but when I started it was with a 16 inch Delta and that was great too and when I was able to afford it I upgraded. Do what your finances dictate and as long as you like/love scrolling that will be your main thing and you will become good no matter what the saw.

Marg 
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 06:23:54 am »
Hi Candi and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad to have you.  
The nicer saw makes it more enjoyable and helps with the learning curve but an entry level saw is still a saw and you get used to using what you have.  I started with a Dremel and moved up to an EX21.  I never regreted the upgrade but was still able to produce some really nice projects with my Dremel.  As a single mom for 21 years, it helped me get my kids through college.  No regrets.  What ever saw you end up with, you certainly made the right choice with ordering the FD blades.  You blades matter more than your saw, I think.  Even with my old Dremel, I entered a whole new world of cutting when I started buying better blades.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 07:55:48 am »
Greetings from South Dakota.  Welcome to the addiction.  Either saw will get you started, I started with a $20 saw from a garage sale - it still sits in the garages ready to go - just in case or for the really quick cut and I don't want to change the setup on the DeWalt. 

Do what feels right for you!  Whatever you decide - enjoy it!

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Candi_D

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 08:21:06 am »
Thanks everyone! I picked up a couple books this week and have been reading and watching videos. My Dewalt (yes I went for it) arrives today from Amazon. Heading off in a bit to pick up some started wood so I can hopefully try it out this weekend (I need to build my 2x4 basics work table first and get things organized in my unfinished storage side of the basement turned work room ;) )

I'll be back to show you my first attempts once I've tried it out, I expect my FD blades soon too so that should definitely help as well.

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 11:24:06 am »
Welcome to the group Candi, I'm Al from Calif.  I grew up in Michigan and still travel back to visit family every few years.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

SMF

Teknoromi