Author Topic: Learned something new tonight..  (Read 4119 times)

Offline arkiewood

• View Profile
Learned something new tonight..
« on: November 20, 2012, 09:17:21 pm »
I was sanding the imperfections out of some projects I did today. I don't have any mini files so my wife asked me if her emory board she uses on her nails would work?

I gave it a try and wow it worked great. One side was course and one was fine.
I trimmed one end very narrow with scissors to get in tight spots and it worked great.
Now I realize many of you already knew this and used it, but hey, 57 and still learning!!
Let's make some saw dust!

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Learned something new tonight..
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 09:37:48 pm »
Arkie  My wife is a retired beauty shop owner and they had a nail girl for a few years. I got all of the silghtly used emory boards of different sizes. I stil have a peanutbutter jar full.  You can pick them up at a lot of places very cheap.  I use them all the time
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

IBMer

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 11:40:38 pm »
Probably a bit more expensive than regular sand paper..      By the way, Harbor Freight tools has Diamond Pin Files for something like $5.00   The work great to get into very tight spaces and quickly remove material..

canadasgall

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 06:02:47 am »
i get mine at the dollar store they come in really handy

old wormy

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 01:17:03 pm »
I make my own sanding sticks by glueing sandpaper to tongue depressors and then trim the edges. Use many grits.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 05:28:49 pm »
Now thats a Great idea.  Using tongue suppressors....  Cool....  Have a Box full of um.
Surely will glue different grits on um.  Thanks for the hint....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 09:14:50 pm »
Hmmmmm, don't have any tongue suppressors, but I bet popcicle sticks would work.  Especially in small spaces.
ChelCass

Dean A

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 10:20:50 am »
Arkiewood, thats the great thing about this hobby. Always learning new ways and new things and meeting new people.

Graywolf

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 10:43:38 am »
Arkiewood, I'm 68 and still learning. I still have a lot to learn about this scroll saw...

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 07:43:36 am »
I also make my own  using tongue depressers.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 12:42:51 pm »
Yeah but now when your wife is out of emory boards guess who's gonna get the blame ;D
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 12:47:10 am »
This is a good thing to point out. Someone on here told me that once and it does work great. I am hoping that for Christmas I will get a small file set...but if not I can still use them emery boards. Good tip thanks for sharing.

Candi_D

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 01:02:34 pm »
Does anyone use a dremel or is that too strong? My saw hasn't even arrived yet but I was thinking of what I could use for sanding and assumed a dremel on a slow speed would be good?

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 06:34:38 am »
Candi, the dremel works great for shaping and some applications but for general sanding, you will want a sander.  Your blade should give you a nice smooth cut that will require very little sanding on the edges unless you are using a spiral blade (that will leave some fuzzies on the back).  A reverse tooth blade has a few teeth in the upward direction at the bottom of the blade so the bottom of your piece has a nice smooth back with no tear out.  I use reverse tooth blades most of the time.  The mini files are extremely handy when trying to clean up inside cuts.
I recommend a 1/4 sheet sander.  They are inexpensive and do not require specially sized sandpaper.  (You can cut a regular sheet into 1/4 to fit.)
You will eventually want a belt sander/disc sander combo and a sanding mop or two.  They are your best friends when sanding scrolled objects.

Candi_D

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 07:28:59 am »
Thank you for the info! I have a 1/4 sheet sander already so I'll research some of the others you've mentioned as I progress :) I have the FD blades arriving so that should help too!

Candi, the dremel works great for shaping and some applications but for general sanding, you will want a sander.  Your blade should give you a nice smooth cut that will require very little sanding on the edges unless you are using a spiral blade (that will leave some fuzzies on the back).  A reverse tooth blade has a few teeth in the upward direction at the bottom of the blade so the bottom of your piece has a nice smooth back with no tear out.  I use reverse tooth blades most of the time.  The mini files are extremely handy when trying to clean up inside cuts.
I recommend a 1/4 sheet sander.  They are inexpensive and do not require specially sized sandpaper.  (You can cut a regular sheet into 1/4 to fit.)
You will eventually want a belt sander/disc sander combo and a sanding mop or two.  They are your best friends when sanding scrolled objects.

SMF

Teknoromi