Author Topic: HF 12 inch disc sander  (Read 717 times)

Dean A

HF 12 inch disc sander
« on: November 18, 2012, 02:49:25 pm »
Hello,

Went to HF to get the 12 inch disc sander from central machine. I noticed on the tag "Motor: 120V, 22.7 amps (start), 1.25 HP, 1750 RPM" .

22.7 amp start? Won't this trip a 20 amp breaker? Do I need to run a dedicated line for this machine?

Wondering if anyone has one for home workshop use

Thanks
 Dean

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Re: HF 12 inch disc sander
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 09:41:08 pm »
Dean, I don't have a disk sander (but am thinking of trying to make one).  The HF web site also mentions the full load amps is 11.9, which would run easily on a 15 amp circuit.

Motors can pull double the running current while starting, in this it is case 22.7 amps.  I doubt you will have any problems starting the sander on a 15 amp circuit.

Good luck with it.
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Dean A

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 07:01:51 am »
nobody at the store knew what it meant. I had to leave empty handed.....well, kinda empty handed. Can never go in that store and NOT spend money.

Anyways, thanks Jim. I read the reviews and nobody mentioned it was blowing fuses, so I might reconsider

alien11

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 08:39:57 am »
If you do try it and it does blow fuses, replace the fuse with one of the same amp rating, but labeled slow blow (Slo-Blo). These are designed specifically to allow a high inrush current from a motor starting up. If your panel is circuit breakers rather than fuses your choices will be more limited if the breaker trips.

SMF

Teknoromi