Author Topic: I broke it!  (Read 1280 times)

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
I broke it!
« on: November 16, 2012, 07:38:11 pm »
I was in the middle of a compound cut in 1-1/2" poplar for a Christmas ornament,BANG. Busted the linkage rod of my Craftsman 16" ( model 137.216010). I ordered new parts from Sears but, I don't know how to access the bottom of the rod, which is where it broke off. I took the back plastic plate off and found a bunch of wires and junk. Any body changed one of these things before and can steer me in the right direction for disassembly? I'm afraid if I just start taking every thing off I will have wasted much effort.
Not a good time to be without my saw!!
Thanks for any insight, Pete.
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: I broke it!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 10:57:43 pm »
I think there is a site...emanuals.com...or something like that where you can get an exploded diagram

~~~GB~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

mlwmerk

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 09:49:44 am »
I just had to disassemble my craftsman 16" scroll saw.  The procedure may differ slightly but here is how it goes. 

First you'll need some hex wrenches. Sorry I can't remember if they are metric or standard wrenches and the machine schematic drawing.  You got the schematic drawing in the instructions booklet.  If you don't have it go to sears parts on line and print one out.  . 

Remove the table adjustment knob in front and then remove the table.  It's heavy but it is easier to work on the saw with it removed.  Proceed carefully and watchout for detent balls and hidden screws. 

I then removed the base.  You'll need a good phillips screwdriver #2.  And I used a cressent wrench - there are at least four HD bolts holding the base on and the two halves together on the bottom.

Then lay the remaining machine on it's side exposing several phillips screws.  Remove all of them carefully.  A magnetic screwdriver or magnetic retreiver is useful in removing the screws from their cavities. 

The "top" piece should come off without too much difficulty.  If it doesn't, look for hidden screws, or other panels to remove.  Use caution in removing it since it contains the bearing housings for the two arms.  The broken parts will probably be laying there. 

Replace the broken parts by screwing it on the shaft so that a few threads are showing. I believe it is a nylon lock nut.  Or replace the shaft so that it looks like the original.

It is an adventure but if you are halfway handy in taking things apart and reassembling them you should be able to handle it.  Check any other parts inside for wear, etc.  Lubricate wear points and reassemble. 

The black plastic section with the wires, and overload breaker, that you played with does not have to be messed with, only a couple of screws that hold the two sides of the machine together have to be removed. 

Make sure you keep track of where the screws and bolts come from and there are many different types and sizes. 

Your process may differ due to your skill set and situation.  The Schematic diagram is important because it shows you the space relationships of all the parts.

Good Luck.

Walt in CT

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 11:55:09 am »
Thank you Walt, that helped me alot. I got it all apart now, just waiting for parts. I ordered the whole linkage assembly, should be back to cutting in a few days.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

SMF

Teknoromi