Author Topic: Scrollsaw Recommendation For my Son  (Read 3251 times)

HenryT

Scrollsaw Recommendation For my Son
« on: November 15, 2012, 03:27:30 pm »
I posted this on a different forum and someone suggested I put it here instead...

My son (11) was able to use his grandfathers scrollsaw when we went down to see them last year around Christmas.  He did a couple of projects with my dad and had a lot of fun doing them and would like a scrollsaw for Christmas.

So any suggestions on what saw to get him (along with accessories) trying to keep the cost below $200 ~ $250.

Thanks

Henry

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Scrollsaw Recommendation For my Son
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 04:07:53 pm »
Sorry to direct you back and forth, but I answered your question over in the introduction page!
Dan In Southern California

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 04:22:41 pm »
Craftman is a good starter saw and with Black Friday sales and Christmas Sales you should be able to get one for well under 200.00.  I bought one online from Sears and had them ship it free to the nearest Sears Outlet.
ChelCass

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 04:39:26 pm »
i had a craftsman scrollsaw for years still have it as a matter of fact i only upgraded it this summer.did alot of work with it i found the saw very dependable. when your looking for at different saw couple things to look for is tool-less blade holders and variable speed. there are a few scrollsaw in the price range your looking for.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 05:30:50 pm »
I would consider looking at craftsman as well.  I bought one at Sears before I got my DeWalt.

Also consider looking at Craigslist in your area, you might find a $500 saw for half that or less!

Realize if you get a real cheap saw your son might get discouraged if you have problems with the saw.

Karl

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 06:09:32 pm »
I also am using a Craftsman. Got it for about $100 a few years ago. I would be afraid to spend too much in case he loses intrest. I have bought a drum kit, upright piano (both included lessons) and many other bigger things for my kids when they were young, because they promised they would practice and use it all the time...... Do I have to tell you how that worked out? LOL
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 06:54:35 pm »
I like the porter-cable. I have one in my middle school and it has held up really well to the abuse of all of my kids.
I also have a similar (older) model that I love

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 06:59:37 pm »
I started with a craftsman scroll saw. They are not bad saws. Bolting them down helps with the vibration.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

emtdonald

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 10:11:56 pm »
my 10 year old uses my porter cable he started using it 3 yrs ago. for the price and the fact that the stand is included you can't go wrong. its real easy to use and vibration isn't bad.

tundraguy

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 10:13:19 pm »
yea try craig's list..i got my dremal for $70 used once.....

Old Crow

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 11:57:05 pm »
Henry, This one is on sale now at Sears for $102. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921602000P?vName=Tools&cName=Bench&StationaryPowerTools&sName=Scroll%20Sawsmv=rr

I used a 16 inch Craftsman for 7 years and just recently upgraded. I highly recommend this one as a starter. Also call or email Mike at Mikes Workshop and get a supply of Flying Dutchman blades. Don't mess around with the blades from Sears.
Don R

rfarmer

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 11:45:50 pm »
If it's his first time and learning ( Like myself) and cheap about it (like myself) I bought one for $80 buck's at Harbor Freight. It's not the best and the pinned blades are easier to use. The flat or none pinned blades with the attachments are a little difficult to get tension on blade without it knocking. Once I decide I want to do this more or get better I will get a better saw but it does cut.

HenryT

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 03:09:31 pm »
Well, went and got the Craftsman...

Thanks for the suggestions..

Henry

Old Crow

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 05:56:53 pm »
Good choice for a beginner. Don't forget the blades!.
Don R

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 06:06:35 am »
Hey Henry,  keep us posted on how he does.

SMF

Teknoromi