Author Topic: Blades Bending?  (Read 848 times)

bubbaloo158

Blades Bending?
« on: November 10, 2012, 12:11:24 pm »
Hello all...

I've been able to get back to the scroll saw quite a bit more than I have been... and loving it!!!

Here's something that I really don't recall happening before now.  When I install a new blade on my DW 788, the top clamp bends the flat part of the blade that is held by the clamp.  It looks like a hockey stick when the clamp is tightened and even more so when the blade loosened.

I have tried the suggestion of lightly sanding the flat end of the screw.  I have also been experimenting with how tightly (or loosely) I turn the clamp when installing the blade.

I have found that it really isn't making a lot of difference that I can see in the way the saw cuts with larger blades.  But I have noticed that with smaller blades - FD-UR No. 1 for example - I really have to turn the project into the blade a LOT in order to get a straight cut.  I know I'm a newb at this but I do know that having to turn the project as much as I need to isn't normal.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem or if in fact this is normal.  Like I said, I really don't recall this happening before.

Thanks

Bobby

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Blades Bending?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 12:29:59 pm »
Hey Bobby, it is a common problem with the DeWALT saw. The Jack screw that is opposite the thumb screw sometimes works its way in or out. If it works its way out, the blade will tighten against the hole in the blade chuck, causing it to bend. Take the screw out and apply a dab of BLUE loctite on it. Then screw it in so it just protrudes inside the blade clamp. That should do it!
Dan In Southern California

bubbaloo158

Re: Blades Bending?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 05:43:09 pm »
Hi dgman...

Thanks for the info!  In fact, I kind of figured it out for myself after posting this morning.  Everything is working great again, I'm pleased to report.

Bobby

SMF

Teknoromi