Author Topic: Cold Weather On Your Equipment  (Read 1801 times)

countryscroller

Cold Weather On Your Equipment
« on: October 30, 2012, 10:29:38 am »
I just got my Dewalt 788 scroll saw over the summer which means I have not had it during a winter before. It is in a workshop that has no insullation, so it gets cold in there during the winter. I was wondering how much of a toll the cold will take on the saw. Thanks.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
Re: Cold Weather On Your Equipment
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 10:42:34 am »
i got a shed with no insulation.i had a old craftmans scrollsaw for years with no troubles. i did find that on really cold days the saw was a little sluggish first when i start to cut after that it was good to go. don't know how the Excalibur is going to to be.i got a small heater now for when i'm out there 

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

countryscroller

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 10:46:17 am »
Yeah Todd before I got my DW I had my grandpa's old craftsman and didn't have any trouble, but since the DW is brand new i didn't want to risk breaking it.  I use a Buddy Heater that uses propane cylinders. It is very handy.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 11:34:46 am »
My shop is a wooden shed with no heat. I only use heat when I am in there and have had no ill effects. The shop stays dry and I have not seen any rust on the tables of my tools.  I only cover the band saw. I do put a coat of paste wax on each one every so often. the scroll saw get waxed more often.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

rob roy

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 11:37:16 am »
Hi Dustin, watch out for a lot of condensation with the gas. Apparently it releases a gallon of water for every gallon of gas you burn, not that you will be burning it by the gallon. but keep an eye on it.
Rob Roy.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 11:50:42 am »
My DeWalt has been in an unheated garage for three years and I have had no problems. I use a small electric heater and when I plan to be in the shop I go out first and turn on the heater and place it directly under the saw so the table warms up. That cold steel can be rough on arthritic hands!
I also have a large Buddy propane heater and I fire it up and after about 40 minutes I am warm and toasty. No problem with fumes. The heater has a 'low oxygen' sensor and will shut down if something happens. No problems at all in two years of use.
All finishing and use of sprays and solvents is done in the basement laundry room with the vent fan running!!!

You should be just fine with your setup.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 03:46:19 pm »
Keep your cast iron table waxed to keep rust away.
Dan In Southern California

countryscroller

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 05:37:30 pm »
Thanks guys that helps. I never heard of waxing the tables, but I will look into it and give it a try. Thanks again!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 10:02:07 pm »
Make sure you do not use a wax that contains silicone like car wax. Silicone can interfere with finishes. Most folks use Johnson's paste wax. I use Minwax Finishing wax because that is what I have on hand.
Apply a thin layer with a clean cloth. Let set for about five minutes, then buff off with a clean cloth. Not only will it protect the cast iron, but will make it nice and smooth for ease of scrolling!
Dan In Southern California

countryscroller

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 06:30:43 am »
Thanks dgman. I will deffinately look into it.

Mainewoods

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 08:45:14 pm »
Dustin - +1 on what Dan <dgman> said, with an emphasis on not letting the wax dry on the table.  Like Dan said, 5 minutes or so then buff it out.  If you leave it there too long, it won't buff out worth a cr*p!!!... and will actually make it harder to slide the wood around!  Do it right, and you'll be amazed at the difference!

countryscroller

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 09:16:34 pm »
Ok thanks for the advice. I will probably get to the store this weekend and get some and try it out.

king310

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 09:54:32 pm »
Years ago I had a shed with a small heater which I worked in. When you work in a cold room you dont feel like staying long. When I built my Garage I purchased a electric heater for it. It was a mobile home furnace which I paid $75 for it. When we moved I took the furnace with me.
I turn it down at night or when I am not going to be in the shop. I want to be comfortable when I play. If you look hard or contact a furnace company ypou can pick up a used furnace cheap.

countryscroller

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 10:59:29 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion, but my shop is pretty small and a little heater does me fine. I'd rather be cold actually than sweating my butt off in the summer.

SMF

Teknoromi