Author Topic: Q for any UK Scrollers :)  (Read 1443 times)

Lorn.S

Q for any UK Scrollers :)
« on: October 17, 2012, 04:31:12 pm »
Hi...I'm fairly new to the addiction known as scrolling...difficulty I am having is finding suitable wood for projects.

If it's not too cheeky could anyone give me some idea or tips where you source your wood from in the UK.

So far I have salvaged a lovely pine board and managed to buy some 1" thick Oak boards...nice to work with but just a bit too thick for what I want...I also have a couple of sheets of Birch Faced Ply but I would like to find some other types of wood that I can "play" with.

Apart from local Timber Merchants there seems to be little on offer...recycled is good but a lot of time is spent cleaning it...I am wasting valuable scrolling time  ;)

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank's for reading

Lorn  :)

docupton

Re: Q for any UK Scrollers :)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 04:02:38 am »
Sorry, I'm not going to be much help there is a shortage of good suppliers in this country. I get 3mm ply from model shops for portraits and resaw pine boards on the bandsaw for other projects, and of course, scavenging timber yard skips hoping for some useful offcuts. good luck.

grampa

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 04:20:12 am »
Hi Lorn, Im Paul from Heysham in lancashire, If you have any Cabinet makers in your area go have a word with them they always have small pieces left over and most of the time they let you have it for free.      Have a look here
 http://hobby.uk.com/materials/wood.html     All the best......Paul
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 04:26:33 am by grampa »

Stravides

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 07:20:46 am »
If i remember correctly you are in Yorkshire somewhere, I have an uncle in Hull that does a lot of turning and used to have shedloads of wood that he often sold on Ebay. 

I tend to pick some up from receiclo a wood recycling place.
The Forestry commission near us get rid of a shedload also so I have contacts there that give me wood.

Ask the local timber merchants to start keeping the offcuts, one near me does offcuts at 20-50p per sheet - biggest so far is 120x60 3MM marine ply.  50p :)

Aalways good to ask.

Lorn.S

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 01:49:03 pm »
Thank you all for your replies...much appreciated...certainly given me food for thought and a few ideas that hadn't occurred to me...there are quite a few cabinetmakers around here so they are on my list of must visit...poor devils... ;)

Lorn  :)

SMF

Teknoromi