Author Topic: Members Health Update  (Read 4722 times)

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Members Health Update
« on: October 07, 2012, 09:46:12 am »
I know a few of our family/members have had some serious health problems in the past like Judy Hunter and Gabby. I am sorry if I didn't mention your name. Those two are the first to come to my mind, you know how this old-timers disease effects your memory.  ::) LOL

I do see there posts from time to time but I was just wondering how all of you have been and if you wouldn't mind giving us an health update.

This means anyone who I have missed mentioning too. Everyone is important so once again even if I forgot, refresh our memory.  :)

Thanks Russ.

P.S. I could set this as a sticky topic but it would be above the Christmas Exchange, so I will bump it to the top from time to time just so everyone has a chance to respond.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 09:49:40 am by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: Members Health Update
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 10:25:11 am »
 :DI am fine, fat and sassy and on the right side of the grass (or snow in this case)
thanks for asking.  No, I am not totally back to "normal".  I have a lot of short term memory loss.
My brain doesn't quite function like it did.  And I am really very lazy.
But the other day while building a corral for the horse, I got hit in the head by an 8 foot landscape timber. So Now I have an excuse for being a little goofy  :D
Now aren't you sorry you asked HA!!!
I'm from North Dakota

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 12:11:46 pm »
It has been a YEAR since I got the Cochlear Implant.
On Friday I went for the one year 'mapping' where they check over all the mechanics and then do some tweaking of the electronic 'feeds' to the electrodes planted on the auditory nerve in my skull.
After all the adjusting was complete the final status is that every frequency needed to be toned downward because they have gotten much stronger and I was having to adjust my volume lower and lower over the last several months to keep from going into sensory overload and having to excuse myself from noisy situations.

Overall the audiologists were as pleased as I was and things are working as well as anyone could have hoped.
Big Bonus..I was informed that Medicare will pay for two re-chargeable batteries every year. Considering these batteries are the ones I use daily and eventually they will lose the ability to recharge this is great since replacements are $200 each.

I have been booked by the OASIS organization to give two presentations of my experience this year. <oasisnet.org/stlouis>...here is the blurb in the catalog of classes...

I Can Hear You Now!   
Do you have profound hearing loss? Hearing aids no longer doing the job? Join Ed on his personal journey from almost total deafness in one ear, discovering he was a candidate for a Cochlear Implant, hearing sound for the first time in over 60 years and what the Cochlear Implant has meant to his quality of life.
Instructor: Ed Norman
Wednesday    11/14/12    10:00 - 11:30   

Continued THANKS to all who said a prayer!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 01:56:23 am »
I'm sort of like Judy, better but not back to normal, whatever that is.  ;D
After losing about 20 or 25 pounds I put it all back on with a vengance to 180 of which I need to lose about 10 or so.
A new update is in order 3 weeks ago I had cataract surgery on my right eye, and tomorrow (Monday) I'm going back and having the left eye done. I'm really looking forward to not needing glasses or contacts to see with any more. I'll probably need readers for close stuff but I can live with that for sure!
So keep your fingers crossed for me tomorrow, and thanks,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 12:10:14 pm »
Hey Gabby!! 
You will be a new man tomorrow  ;D
At least you will "LOOK" like one.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 02:02:51 pm »
A new update is in order 3 weeks ago I had cataract surgery on my right eye, and tomorrow (Monday) I'm going back and having the left eye done. I'm really looking forward to not needing glasses or contacts to see with any more. I'll probably need readers for close stuff but I can live with that for sure!
So keep your fingers crossed for me tomorrow, and thanks,
Gabby

I just had cataract surgery in September. I had my left eye done first and then two weeks later my right eye. It really is a piece of cake to have done. It takes about five minutes for the surgery but you spend an hour beforehand getting about four kinds of eye drops and then you must use eye drops for six weeks after that.
I chose to be nearsighted so I can read, work on the computer, and scroll saw without glasses but, I need them to drive. I don't have my new lenses yet but, it so happens that my wife has the same vision problem and a pair of her old ones are just perfect to see with. However they don't fit too well and look like womens glasses. ::) :P 
I should get a new prescription for my own glasses on the 23rd of this month.  ;D
By the way, ask for generic eye drops, the ones the doctor prescribes are very expensive even with S.S. and Humana insurance.  :o  DAMHIKT  ;)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 02:24:11 pm »
Hey Gabby, here's wishing you all the best for tomorrow - and no chasing the nurses (once you can see them) lol
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

rob roy

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 05:53:51 pm »
Hi keefie, Gabby will find the nurses with or without seeing. I think he's got Sonar or Radar of some sort LOL. Maybe even a fertile imagination?????.
Rob Roy

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 08:17:58 pm »
Good luck everyone with your ailments. I am really glad to hear my buddies are doing so well. Good luck Gaddy, after tomorrow you will see the world through a new lense, in one eye and a older lense in the other. God is good ;) ;)
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 02:12:49 am »
I had a great time and the nurses kept calling me handsome.
I think they are candidates for corrective surgery too, but I just thanked them and didn't bother to correct them. It doesn't happen every day ya know!

Follow up is in the morning when they take this damned eye guard off, then I'll be able to see for sure.

I did have one good eye going in and had some CUTE nurses today, and being the gentel man that I am told them so. Yehaw Gabby strikes again!
G'night y'all,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 03:54:07 am »
Well I've heard you called many things Gabby (mainly by that Horse Thief Rob Roy  ;D ;D) but never heard you called handsome.  You sure they were nurses and not patients ???? lol

Seriously though, I'm glad things went well for you mate.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 10:35:24 am »
1 1/2 yrs ago I went through a bad experience with an aortal aneurism.  The repair has held up fine but it turns out that I now have another aneurism right above the heart and a smaller one right below the heart.  So far the larger is still small enough that they don't want to do anything.  It grew 3 cms in the last 6 mos.  Since I have this nasty habit of quitting breathing under anesthesia, I am not real excited about another surgery.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 09:01:00 pm »
Glad to hear from all of you and that most of you are doing well. I will keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers. Won't be long and 2012 will be over.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 02:08:11 am »
I had a real bad MVA in 86 and it took many years to get over some of it but with hobbies and friends on forums such as this this, it is great, now into my 70's and still doing a bit of odd jobbing things are great, BUT the biggest scare I had today was an e-mail from my daughter to say she had been in a bad MVA but had no bad injuries and I thank god for that, she said all she could think about was her 2 little boys and what would have happened to them if she had not survived
Frightening as I told her as this was my thought as well when I had my crash,
All the best to the members that have had a real bad year health wise
Jimbo

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 03:33:57 am »
Hi keefie, Gabby will find the nurses with or without seeing. I think he's got Sonar or Radar of some sort LOL. Maybe even a fertile imagination?????.
Rob Roy

Braile works best!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Kepy now you've got me worried, they replaced about a foot of my artery including a Y section going into my legs I ruptured and the DR said my aneurism was a 10 on a scale of 1 to 11 which was the worst he had ever seen he didn't tell me if the other patient survived. I'll be going in for some scans in a few months as a follow up from my surgery,
What I suffered was the scariest most painful thing I've ever experienced in my life. I hope I don't have to experience it again. Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

SMF

Teknoromi