Author Topic: Double Sided Tape  (Read 5539 times)

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
Double Sided Tape
« on: October 06, 2012, 02:35:31 pm »
Question guys? I just used up my last piece of double sided tape.I went out to get another roll and now I am having a hard time getting it.The roll I had was by a company named Manco Inc.I checked out staples and a few hardware stores.I tried home depot and they had a double sided tape for back splashes.It works ok, but when pulling it off it leaves to much residue for me.Does anybody have any idea where I can get another roll?Any help will be great....Dave

Offline Barry

• View Profile
Re: Double Sided Tape
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 02:43:23 pm »
Woodcraft has a roll of double-sided tape (1" X 36 Yds) for $18.99.

Barry

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 03:09:56 pm »
Check the 'carpet' section for "Carpet Tape".

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 03:29:24 pm »
Hey Dave, Like GB said, look in the carpet section at HD. I used to use two sided tape a lot for stack cutting, but I always had a problem with separating the layers, often times breaking small pieces. I now use either a hot glue gun to glue the edges of the stack or blue painters tape. If I am cutting the piece from inside the stack, I use the hot glue gun. If I need the outside edges for the piece, I use the blue painters tape on the edges to make up the stack.
Dan In Southern California

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 05:00:47 pm »
For me carpet tape is too strong.  The woodcraft tape from our local store is turners tape and thicker than I like.  I bought several rolls from Peachtree and use it for stack cutting and pattern routing on the router table.  Very handy!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 07:53:41 pm »
For most of my stack cutting, I use double sided tape that come from the dollar store. Looks like a roll of regular scotch tape and only cost $1.  I usually put a strip across the top, bottom and one in the middle.  Cannot recall ever having item break wine taking it off. It is not as good as the Woodcraft tape but it works fine for me.   I also wrap over the edges of thestack with clear tape. Then I apply the pattern.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 09:40:59 pm »
I get mine from the Ace Hardware store here. They have two kinds of carpet tape, heavy duty (cloth backed) and light duty (plastic back and cheaper). I always get the cheaper plastic back light duty and do not have too much trouble removing it and it doesn't seem  to leave much residue either.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

jim stiek

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 08:45:07 am »
try your local golf pro shop the kind they use for club grips is the best I've ever used it only takes a few spots to hold things together

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 04:51:09 pm »
Thank for the help.I will into it and find my best option.....Dave

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 06:41:01 pm »
Golly Gee Whiz!!!!  This subject is very NEW to my experience with stack cutting.
How does this technique compare to just putting a few drops of glue in the outside
area of each blank?  Example.  Making each blank a Quarter inch bigger on all sides.
I use Aileen's glue product and it works GREAT.  PAINTERS BLUE TAPE on top with pattern spray glued to it.  Cut away and never any problems.  What am I missing with using hot glue guns, double stick tape or packing tape?  Just inquiring....Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 08:14:26 pm »
Danny, it's all what ever works for you. As you know, there are many ways to do a task. I used to use the double sided tape to make up stacks. It worked good for me until I started cutting more intricate portraits. Then I started breaking small parts trying to separate the layers. So now what works for me is either the blue painters tape or the hot glue gun. Mine is not necessarily the best way, but it works for me!
Dan In Southern California

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 02:11:54 am »
Like Dan I found double sided tape to hard to remove so I use either clear packing tape or an air staple gun, I find sapling the easier and quickest method
Jimbo

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 07:47:53 am »
Thanks for ur reply Dan.  I agree bout what work best for each of us.  Is there anyone that has used just the drops of glue on the outside cut away areas?  To me waiting for a Messy hot glue gun to heat or wrapping all with clear packing tape makes for a lot of trouble removing the tape from the bottom copy.  Anyway just curious.  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 08:11:42 am »
Yep, to each his own said the man who kissed the horse.  I like to hit the stack with a couple of air nails, then cover the pattern area with blue tape, including over the sides/ends, and press on from there.  I have had good luck to date.

Enjoy and keep learning.
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

ChuckD

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 06:05:39 pm »
I still like the toothpick way and a little tape, cheap tape.  :0

SMF

Teknoromi